PITA in the making..

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cessnasovereign, Jul 11, 2006.

1. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call from a guy 3 weeks ago, wanting regular service, I tried to get him on a contract but he said he wanted to test it out for a month first, so I said ok no problem, but you'll have to pay per visit until you have a contract. Well I cut it the first time, he leaves a check out for me, then he calls the night before the 2nd time I'm to cut and just wants to make sure I'll be there tomorrow (like I'm a neighborhood lawn-boy), so he leaves a check out again, well yesterday I go out there for the third time and he didn't leave a check out.. So I thought no problem, so I leave an invoice with the contract and an address to send the money and contract to, then call to tell him. well about 6 pm, yes 6 PM he text messages me and says "I am out this week and there is no need to cut the grass." :rolleyes:

So I call him right back and leave another message, which has remained un-returned.

I have several people not on contracts and they simply leave the money out each time, sometimes forgetting but no big deal. And I do not call everyone the night before to double check, I only do weekly mowing and put everyone on a schedule, I do not have the time to drive all around town. I'm in certains areas on certain days, take it or leave it.

This guy just really hit a nerve for some reason... I mean, how stupid, he knows I come on Mondays yet he doesn't bother to call, instead he text messages at 6 pm on monday!

I'll be dropping him, if he does decide to still use me, but first he will be paying..

:dizzy:

/end rant

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

three words:
    bobby
    gedd
    shovel

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

No money, No mowing. With your regulars I understand you feel comfortable with cutting with out a check. This by the way is called extending credit. Anyway, this is a lesson learned for both of you. You start setting the rules before the game is played or you just might get fouled out!!! Did you ever tell him that you require at least 24-48 hr cancelation notice, etc... If not, you will just have to pray he pays!!! Good Luck!!

4. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

I don't really have a cancellation policy, if he would have called and cancelled like I suppose a normal person would, he still would have been dropped. People don't understand that we do have more than 1 customer. His house is about 15 minutes away from mine, and I'm only out there on Mondays. The grass was actually higher than what I have been cutting there, due to the rain. So even if I would have come back next week, he'd be looking at more charges. I mean the $35 isn't a big deal, but for some reason he just really struck a nerve..

5. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

mate agree with you in part .fair enough you have a strict policy on how you wish to run your business and thats good.nobody should let a customer run there business.i have to say though when i get a customer that is new.if the money aint there ,well i aint doing it ,its that simple

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Watch Jerry McGuire again and again "SHOW ME THE MONNNNNNEEEYY!" not to mention the part about "get the contract signed !"