PITA Neighbor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Infinite, May 30, 2006.

1. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

Well here goes...I have had problems with my customers here and there nitpicking ad all that but never one of my customers neighbors until this year. This guy has gave me problems consistently week to week. I cut three lawns in this subdivision-Lawn #1-directly down over the hill from PITA neighbor, Lawn #2 to the left of his house if u are facing his house and Lawn #3-to the left of Lawn #2 house if facing it. The first problem of the year I had with him was parking. I had previously parked below his house but on the other side of the street by Lawn 1. For his convenience and yelling I had to move a house further away from all the houses to park. Next was him continuosly yelling when making my outside pass I am blowing grass in his lawn. One time he even came down with scissors threatening blowing grass on his lawn. Today he accused me of hitting his truck with rocks while trimming Lawn #1 from 30 yards away and it was in a garage and I was trimming the grass with the head spinning the other way. After this I was cutting Lawn #2 and he was standing there with a camera I hopped off the mower and asked him what the problem was now. He said the mower chute being up is a safety hazard and he is taking the pictures to the cops and he told me he'd have a citation for me next time I cut. So does this guy in any way have legal rights? What should I do about this PITA, it seems like its going to be an ongoing problem?

2. dtrap420

dtrap420 LawnSite Member

Just dont pay him any more attention and he will get bored messing with you. When he comes out dont even stop and talk to him and inform all of your employees not to speak to him either just completly ignore him. These people have nothing better to do and will mess with you until you stop letting them.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get a mulch plate on the outlet for one thing. Then essentially ignor him and go your way.

4. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

I personally would not pay him one once of any thing as long as I was being a good lco. i would just smile at him and keep doing exactly what i was doing. Don't pay him no never mind what so ever at all. Move my truck, no. The reason he keeps giving you sh!t, is that he knows he has you and he can twist you.

5. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

2 a.m roundup treatment at his house.

Or you could use my favorite line. Just listen to what he has to say. Look at him an don't say anything until he can't stand it anymore.

Then say, "You can pretty much go **** yourself."

Then just keep staring.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Next time this clown comes out with scissors, call the cops yourself...either that or just act like you're a nutcase and that should scare him off :laugh:

7. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

Take a camera, everytime he comes out of his hole, stop, get off the mower, hold up a sign that says "Say Cheese", and take a picture. He will stop coming out after a while. As far as a citation, he can't do a thing.

8. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I would ignore him, call the cops if he threatens you, and most importantly park on public property right in front of his house.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

this is one problem that comes my way about once or twice every year or two...
    That is to say not very often, but more than I'd like.

As for the cops, I watch the pita... For one the cops didn't see whatever it is but once a pita calls them, it is time to leave immediately.
    If I have to come back later and finish, the last thing I want is to waste 20-30 minutes with the police, what if they fill out paperwork and I have to go to court?
    Forget it, if I'm not there when they arrive, my chances of going to court have gone down, way down.

So far in 5 years I have found no solution to jerks like this, do let me know if you find something that works, other than grabbing the guy by the throat that is.

By the way, what is wrong with parking in your driveway?

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Let him call the police. Asked under what code or what law dictates position of chute. I doubt his call to the police will be a high priority. If he comes out with any sharp object, call the police tell them he threatended you and document what the object was. In South Dakota that would be considered aggravated assault, a felony 15 to 25 years in prison. That would take care of the pita.