1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

PITA Neighbor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheLawnBarber, Apr 5, 2007.

1. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

So I was mowing a new customer today for the first time this season. I mowed trimmed and edged. I start blowing the sidewalks etc, and there was a little of a mess because the edging and the neighbor lady from across the street approaches me. So I shut off the blower to see what she wants. I first thought she just wanted an estimate but she says to me, Are you going to blow those clippings off the street. By the way shes old ( I hate old people who think their the sh#t.) I say no. She says well if you don't the wind will blow all of it into my yard. Theres a pause and she says well are you going to do it. At this point I just want to say go **** yourself and I cant beleive I didn't say it. So I thought about it for a second so I just made the decision to blow the stuff out of the street back into my customers yard. My instincts just said do it so you don't cause a bad rap in the neighborhood and possiblt loose a customer. Just wanted to see if any of you have been in this situation and want to hear how you handled it. Thanks

2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like all she asked you to do was cleanup the debris from mowing and edging. Whats so hard about that?
    I always blow infront of the curb and the side of the street that i'm edging or mowing. Never leave a mess there, it looks sloppy and blows all over the place. I think its terrible when LCO's blow everything into the street and leave. Don't you care about your impression?

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Had a similar situation last fall. Was blowing out a flowerbed, and the next door neihbor accused me of blowing them into her bed (the beds are bordering eachother, houses in that area are kinda close together). I say, no, i wasnt but i will go ahead and blow yours out just to be sure I didn't get any in there. So then i get all the beds blew out, and was mowing the leafs up. As I mowed up the leafs in her yard I just blew out of the beds, she came and yelled at me, saying get my riding mower off her lawn as her husband would be all mad (thought my 400lb Dixon would damage her lawn:laugh: ) . I just sat there with a blank stare, while she was going off on me for cleaning up her leafs for FREE just to make her happy. All the while her stupid 10 y.o. son was sitting on the porch babysitting me and my buddy that was helping that day, running in every time a leaf flew into her lawn (keep in mind, there were leafs still falling everywhere as it was just mid fall). I don't know what the lady there said to my customer, as I was promised the lawn for this season, but that kinda never happened.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

A word of advice never shut the blower or trimmer off,you will know in seconds whatz going on.

5. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah , Keep the motor on the equipment running so you can continue working when you determine that the approaching person is not "friendly". Keep Moving

6. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i try to keep the streets and curbs as clean as possible .... that's why i usually blow whatever i trim and edge back into the yard before mowing so i can mulch it all up. that way if something is in the street when i'm gone it's much less noticeable. but... as far as PITA neighbors and such... i just tell them that their yard/property/request they have is not my responsibility. it USUALLY works.

7. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Whatever mess I make, I clean up.... If I blow grass into the street Ill blow it back into the yard. Unless its a busy street, then I let the cars take it down the road with them.

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I got to be honest with ya Lawn Barber. I think she has a valid point, however if I was her, I wouldnt say anything because its soo minor. We always clean any mess we make whether its in the street, on someone elses sidewalk, whenever, wherever. Always leave it clean. Many town ordanances prohibit lawn clipping from the street. My 2 cents

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

LawnBarber -- You did the right thing ... it's not worth losing a paying customer over something like that.

10. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

This is why I love this site! I get excellent opinions on every aspect of the trade. But theres no sign that says you can't blow stuff into the street. Just my 2 cents.