Pita,Pita and more Pitas!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Jun 8, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I just about had it with the PITAS!

I had a customer quit after 2 weeks - They used me for the Memorial weekend cut - Yes, I have a contract that gives them an out 14 days after notification but they wanted out now.

I had another customer call today and complain that we cut her lawn to often...New customer started 4 weeks ago=4cuts and the grass has been high because all the rain. I should have known she was a pita when she pulled up in her jag and had that "My sh*t don't stink" attitude. Her yard was a mess. Seed heads on just about every grass stem. She claimed the grass was cut but I knew better. I charged her for a double cut the first time- she agreed. It actually was cut up 4times, that's how high it was. She calls me today and said that we cut to often and doesn't want service anymore.

I should have seen it coming. These customers want us to clean up their sh*tty lawns that they neglected only to stop service when it's manageable.

I am sick of the PITAS!!!!!!!!!!!

Had to vent :angry:

kc

2. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah!!! Tupid PITA's :hammerhead:

:drinkup:

All Clear

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Bad, BAD Pita's :hammerhead:

That'll teach them to be naughty :laugh:

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

You sir need a bigger shovel :D

You also need a PITA contract, with a minimum amount of cuts (lets say 8 or 10) and extra fee's for first cutting if a clean up is needed (IE cutting it 4 times). Been there done that, if I get to a place and its tall as heck I tell them, first cut is going to be XX amount after that it's XX.

5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

^That is what I have promised myself for next year. PITA contracts for all.

6. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

I had one lady(non customer) call me on that Saturday. I was like grilling out with the family. She said. "do you cut lawns" I hate when they ask that, after calling from the yellow page add for Lawn Mowing. I said, "Yep, sure do" She then must of hoped I would be her desperate smuck and come running over to her house, so her lawn would be all pretty for memorial Day. Now that I think back I should of said, "sure I will be over, but it will be four times the normal mow", but i didn't. I told her I was behind as it is. Well then she said, " how about Monday." Thats when I said, " that's a Holiday and I hung up. Some people really get to me.

Any how, this idea of 4 time normal for one timer sounds like a good plan.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah I got a customer like that sorta but they pay a premium and always pay within like 3 or 4 days of an invoice. That and they have spent about 12k with us so far this year buys them a small amount of leeway.

She texted me about 10am needing a special service because company was coming. Mind you it takes 3 to 4 hours to maintain this place. Luckily due to mower problems I actually had time to do it today but she agreed to the hourly rate plus 15 rush fuel charge. Its all good sometimes but had I been behind like others said I would of been nice about it and declined. When dealing with high end clients your gonna get rush requests like this. Had it been a new client like you stated nope.... sorry wrong not gonna happen not today.

8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

If my customers havn't had their lawn mowed for a while, I tell them outright the first mow is $60/hr. I take my time doing it. The clock starts when I get there and stops when I leave. I walk the property for stones and whatever. After that, $40/cut doesn't seem so bad. :sleeping:

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The one that's been frustrating me lately I've been getting more than the usual calls with people wanting a quote over the phone!

Still I have to deal with this because sometimes when I do give out a price over the phone, I end up with something later, but not always and obviously, it's that thing of getting me to agree to do it before I look at it but... that part doesn't bother me, if they finagle me to agree before I see it and then I go out there and it's more work than they made me believe, I just keep right on driving.

So I dislike this not for that obvious reason but I suspect sometimes another Lco wants to get into the business, and I really would have no problem with this except for the little backhanded way it is being done, you know, just ask me upfront how much do I charge for 1/4 acre lot instead of this rigmarole pretending you're a customer nonsense.

So they want the price you know, on the phone... So I ask them, how large is your lot? They almost never know the answer (some do, the few who do sometimes end up as regular customers), but a fair percentage always says 'Oh it is a small lot / not very big' all of which by now translates to: I'm asking because I don't want to pay a lot and if you charge a lot then I don't want to waste my time.
    I mean, WHAT does not very big MEAN?
    How about my own 1 acre lot, is it a small 1 acre lot?
    Well come cut it sometime, you can tell me later if it's a small acre LOL
    Because yeah, most of these 'small' lots are whatever size they are, certainly nothing special to expect there and then it's like, well if it's THAT small then I don't want it because my smallest machine has a 4-foot deck... HEY there's my answer!

I was really racking my brain to start coming up with some good answers because I don't want to come off the wrong way because again, some of them do turn into regulars but the rest just really irk me with this quote on the phone bs.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member