Pita Problem. What Do I Do????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Jun 10, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

well, yesterday when i got home, i had a letter in the mail from a customer, it said "Mark, do not send me a bill for June 3rd, you ruined our rug outside with you lawnmower"

what should i do, she waited 6days to tell me, and she sent it via snail mail, she didnt call and tell me. I DID NOT do this either, one of my employees was mowing her backyard and claims he did it, and i remember hearing a weird noise, but i didnt put 2 and 2 together until now.

I tell ALL my customers that if ANYTHING is everwrong with the cut or their property to call me and let me know and i tell them that it helps me gain knowledge and gives them a better job, only one pita ever complained until now, but anyway should i let it go? i dont want to just ignore it and not cut anymore, i DO NOT want to hurt my reputation, that is my biggest fear, should i replace the rug for her? what should i do? help help help!

also, i have not seen it, so for all i know she could be trying to get a free rug out of this...

also, i knew she was a pita the first time i met her she asked me to cut it ONCE, i told her $25, but if she wanted it cut everyweek it would be $16. then she comes outside when i was done that first time and trys to give me $15, i said "look, we aggreed on 16 a week for a month!"

well now this, what should i do, im kinda pissed that she didnt tell me sooner and extremly pist if this really did happen and my employyee didnt tell me.... i looked over the property b4 i left (like all my accounts) and everything seemed like it was fine. but now i wonder if my employee was covering it up with something like a chair.

please help.

and to top it off, i got another call from someone on the same block saying that i broke her bird bath thing, and my employee told me when it happened, so i wrote her a note on her door telling her and i said "Im very sorry about the bird bath, please tell me where i can buy you a new one, or i can just give you the money that a new one would cost, again im very sorry!"

if my employee would have told me about the rug then i would have baught her a new one, depending on price.... also, they were 2 diff employees.

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

1.Tell her you will replace the old one but you need the old one first. This will tell you if the mower did it or not .

2. You need the receipt for the rug. She mite try to replace her 10.00 rug for a 30.00 dollar rug at your expense.

3. You pay me and ill pay you there is no bartering for broken items.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How in the hell did you ruin her rug btw?

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

rodfather, READ THE POST. lol. if you read it youd know that i didnt do it, and this is why im asking you fellas what i should do. if i did it i would have told her and went out and got her a new one!

holeinonelco, thank you very much, i will do that :)

5. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would not stop my truck for a $16 cut first of all. Did the employee run the rug over?It is only $16 one free cut let it go if any further problems drop the PITA.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The woman sounds like a whacko to me...

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Were you mowing her front porch???? That doesnt sit right with me. Ask for the rug, go get her a new one for free, but bill her for the work. Thats how it should go down.

Look at the rug to see if shes lying or not about the lawnmower.

Or you could just forget about the mow and not give her a new rug:)

8. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

If your employee ran it over just suck it up and get her a new one, assuming it's a door mat or something small.

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I just wouldn't sweat $16 dollars. Call it even, but be on the alert for increasing trivial complaints. At that point, drop her.

10. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

$16 and you have a helper with you? Jesus. How do you even come up with $16? I mean, did you get that figure from the NFL and how they schedule the Super Bowl for a 6:25pm kickoff? I wouldn't cut my momma's lawn for $16.