PITA strikes again!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, May 12, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me start from the beginning. Grab a beer and be ready to read.

About 2 months ago I got a call from my buddies boss asking me for some work. He wanted his grass cut on a weekly basis, 3 yards of mulch installed, 500 SQ ft of sod installed, a drainage system put in and a deck built.

First thing I did was go over and get the grass cut first and then we start working on plans for a deck. After 5 different blueprints are drawn up for a deck we finally agree on something. He asks me when I can start on it and I say it will be at least a week. They agree to it. The next week I get over to cut and a company is there building a deck :realmad: I ask him what the deal is and he says he doesnt want to wait that long for it to be built. I laugh it off and go on my business.

The next week he calls and says he is ready for the sod. I get it ordered a few days later and 3 days after that he calls to tell me he wants to wait on the sod because they are going out of town for 10 days and wont be there to water it. Great! I now have a pallet of sod rotting in front of me that the sod farm wont take back. $100.00 out of my pocket.

He then tells me to do the mulch while they are gone. Last FRI I go over and lay the mulch and everything is fine. He gets home a couple days ago and doesnt say a thing to me so I assume everything is fine.

10 MINS ago I get a call from him. He asks me why I didnt finish the mulch job on 1 side of the house. I inform him that there was no point in putting mulch in one of the beds because he had said he was going to plant some stuff there later on AND the drain was going in right under the bed. So we would have to dig the mulch up to get everything in.

He then informs me that I had told him that I would be putting in 7-8 inches of dirt in the bed and then laying the mulch 6 inches thick. :dizzy:

Is this guy F'ing insane???????? Why would I put 7-8 inches of dirt in a bed? That would raise the level up well over the plants that were in there. I also told him that I only lay mulch 3 inches thick and thats what we agreed upon.

He sarcastically told me that he and his wife must of made up the whole thing.

JERK

I ask him if he wants me to continue with everythiing and he says no but to continue the mowing. I tell him fine. I do his house on Mondays and he asks me if I can switch to Thur or Fridays. I tell him fine but I would have to up the charge $10.00 a week to cover the cost of gas driving from another part of town.

He laughs and tells me to send him a final bill.

Im glad to be rid of him.

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

that sounds like one that calls for a 6 pack and a party, damn, what a jerk, party hardy after that you deserve it. be glad he is gone. :D :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, I thought those kind of customers were only something Bobby got! :p Man, that sucks you are out for the pallet of sod, maybe you could re-coup the funds somehow? Good Bye to that one, what a freak! :dizzy:

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I had a customer like that last year! Everything i said or did wasn't what we agree'd on! I started to freak out in my mind but I kept calm and charged her for what i had and left. After that, service agreements for everything!

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Charge him double for your trouble and HE PAYS for the sod and include your markup for it and delivery,and your time for meeting with him every time and the time you spent on the deck plans,and your mows plus a PITA charge too.

6. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

did you do the blue prints ? if you had top buy them i would send a final bill for the sod and them even if you made them your self and if he dont pay remove the mulch and every thing else you did

7. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

Remove the mulch and he'll call the cops,been there ,done that :realmad:

8. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Has he paid for the mulch and installation? If not, then technically the mulch is not his and you would only be reclaiming your own property. Yes? No?

9. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

He hasnt paid yet. I just put the final bill in the mail and hour ago

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

This is why i charge in advance. I would have been gone the day of the deck building. I dont think you will miss this one too much.