Pitch of mowing decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my hydro bunton walk behinds has a fixed deck. After cleaning it the other day I noticed that the front end sits down quite farther than the rear. I looked at the frame/deck were it comes togather and you can lower the rear of the deck to match the front by moving the deck bolts down...what will this change? Will it affect the cut by making the deck pitch even instead of what currently has the rear higher than the front? IT would be nice to find something to create more of a vacume in the deck so I hope this does the trick.

2. gvlawncare

gvlawncare LawnSite Member

I know on my zero turn, the owners manual says that the front of the deck should sit 1/8" to 1/4" lower than the rear. Yours may be different????

3. Bunton Guy

My front is sitting like 2" lower!

4. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Thats WAY to low. Around an 1/8" is standard. I'm surprised your cut hasn't been UGLY

5. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

geez two inchs like redbull said 1/8 to 1/4 inch or somewhere between the two .

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

2"!!!...I'm surprised the damn thing even cuts???

7. Auroris

Auroris LawnSite Member

There are a lot of threads that mention deck pitch, but I have a hard time finding anything that reallys explains the reasoning.

Why should a deck have a pitch at all as opposed to being level?

I noticed that my eXmark TTHP is higher in the rear than in the front, too.

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

A deck pitched forward will cut the grass only from the 270 degree position to the 90 degree position. (front half) This minimizes the amount of clippings that end up in the back half of the deck. The general design of a side discharge mower is to transfer the clippings across the front from one blade to the other and out. A 2" rake would probably leave a fluted look to the cut. To prove this to yourself cut grass in reverse , what happens?

9. Bunton Guy

When I cut in reverse it leaves all the clippings on the lawn instead of discharging them.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good answer...somebody isn't asleep at the switch!:D