pitch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hewitt64, Apr 1, 2002.

1. hewitt64

hewitt64 LawnSite Member

So if the patio is 8ft wide and 11ft long how much pitch would there be on the eight foot witch goes away from the house?
    Any replies would be appreciated!!!

2. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

2% slope equals 1 inch of fall for every 4 feet, so across 8 feet you will need 2 inches of fall.

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Many times we put less pitch on it if we can, closer to 1/8" per foot. Feels more comfortable, and can still whisk away the agua.

4. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto to STONEHENGE's point... sometime we put less pitch too...

5. mxrdrvr3

mxrdrvr3 LawnSite Member

1/2 inch drop for every 4 foot would be just fine I think 1inch per 4 foot it to excessive and will have a serious slope on it. Not good for a patio with furniture .

With the 1/2 inch drop every 4 foot the water will still run just fine:D

6. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

I'm not trying to start any wars here, we are after all only talking about a fraction of an inch. I have occasionally had to put only 1% slope on patios (maybe less, particularly around pools). I agree that it will still run the water away but it does run slower. Paver manufacturers (at least UNILOCK anyway) and ICPI specify minimum 1.5% with 2% being considered ideal. As far as I am concerned, if you get all of the water off the surface you have done your job, but I will continue to shoot for 2% whenever possible. After nearly 20 years laying pavers, I don't recall anyone ever being upset about their patio being too steep, or their furnature rolling away. I have however had calls about sloooow water run off.

7. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Don't worry, no wars from my side. I'm also aware of other engineering literature that specs the same thing. That being said, in 17 years in the industry :)p) I've been very satisfied with the long-term results of a pitch somewhere between 1/8"-1/4" per foot.

And yeah, in one circumstance we only had 1/16" available for pitch, thanks to planting the house a little deep, and a less-than-brilliant drainage plan. But the water still finds it's way off the patio, albeit slowly.