Pitchfork tine # - ?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by GraZZmaZter, Jun 3, 2008.

1. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Most use 5, but i saw a 10 tine model when i bought a new one a few weeks back. I almost bought that one instead, but was reluctant and thought inquiring on here would possibly motivate my decision with my next pitchfork purchase.

Has anyone used the 10 tine version and what was your opinion of it?

Thanxz

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on what you will be using it for. The bedding forks (more tines) work well for looser, smaller material more consistant in size, like bedding and wood chips. If you are using it in a mix of sizes like a rough compost pile you don't get the penetration like a 5 tine. The tines arent as strong on a bedding fork either and you will likely be straightening them when it is used in place of a pitch fork. Bedding fork wont release material as easily as the pitch fork, when tossing it ( unless it is just small loose stuff).

3. GraZZmaZter

Spot on ... that was awesome. Thanxz

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 4-tined True Temper pitchfork that is probably close to 30 years old. In season, it gets used nearly every day, handling grass clippings. Other times it is used for leaves or mulch.

I also have a 5-tined pitchfork. But, I don't like it nearly as well. First, I don't need the extra tine, so it adds weight and takes force to penetrate. Secondly, the angle of the tines is just a little different, and it doesn't feel as good. The tines (as a group) are aligned more closely with the handle, whereas the 4-tined model has a bit more "scoop."

Rather than a tine count, be aware of the angle of the head of the fork. Some may feel better for your use, and the tine count may not be of much importance.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's all I've ever used, gets the job done, anything else is just a waste of time.
    Most folks neither understand nor respect how good that tool really is, and what it does, either.
    Yes sir, the 10-tine stubby pitchfork, best fork ever made, it ought to be the standard.
    Until you've used one, you just don't know what you've been missing.

They are pricey, it helps to shop around.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree about the ensilage forks, but for certain applications. They work well for relatively light material, such as leaves, mulch, and vines. But, for grass clippings -- way too big! I have a bin on my equipment trailer where clippings are dumped for the day. At the end of the day, I fork them over to a debris trailer (open trailer with 36" sides). When that trailer is full, I take it to the dump, and fork out the debris.

The 4-tine fork is the only one that will work. The ensilage fork is far too cumbersome, and will not even penetrate the clipping debris. When I get to the floor, yes, it can be slid along the floor under the debris, but the weight of the load is way too much to lift and get out the back or over the side. Often the clipping debris is packed tight after sitting for a week, and it comes out only in slabs.

8. GraZZmaZter

Roger - That seems like a lot of "forking" work..... LMAO!!

Oh, i couldnt resist!

9. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I guess it all depends on the person. I've used the 5 tine for over 16 years, and decieded to buy a 10 tine. Hated it. Returned it the next day.

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I have a 5 tine fork. It works well for me on mulch, grass and other debris. I know a 10 tine fork would be hard to stick in a pile of grass. It would need to be fluffed up some first. Grass clippings are pretty close to being a solid mass when in a big pile. Even a 5 tine fork can be hard at times to just stick in the pile. With that said, I'd like to have a 10 tine fork as well. I have the TrueTemper fork and it gets heavy after awhile when your moving something light with it. Is the 10 tine any heavier then the 5? It looks like the 10 tines are smaller in diameter then the 5 tine. Maybe the same weight? I could move more mulch with a 10. It's hard to get the mulch on a shovel when it's settled on the trailer. The 5 tine helps to loosen it up so the shovel can scoop it up easier. Most of the time I have the trailer right where the mulch needs to go so I basically toss it using the 5 tine fork until I can shovel it. A 10 tine would make this go much faster.