1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh hand tools?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by asjgabries, Jan 6, 2007.

1. asjgabries

asjgabries LawnSite Member

Any ever buy or use Pittsburgh hand tools? I saw them in harbor freight. I have never bought any and was wondering if anyone had used them or had and good or bad experinces with them.
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I buy from Harbor Freight all the time. They have several "in home" names and I think this may be one of them.
  3. fly-4-fun

fly-4-fun LawnSite Member

I have a set on the truck for emergency repairs and they have held up pretty good considering what I gave for them about 5 years ago. They aren't the quality of Snap-On, or the other major brands, but they get the job done.
  4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Harbor Tools Store near my work and I have bought a couple of things, but I was able to hold the inspect the items before purchase for me this is important because not everything they sell will make it into my tool box. If it has a warranty that always helps. Just my opinion:)
  5. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

I have several sets of Pittsburgh open end/box wrenches and a few giant adjustable wrenches. For the price, they are good quality.
  6. asjgabries

asjgabries LawnSite Member

Sounds like the verdict is Pittsburgh hand tools are not as good as craftsman. I would rather pay more and get better quality if thats what it takes.
  7. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

Since my father is a mechanic he buys snap-on and mac tools only. I got 2 boxes, one at my uncles hsop which i work during the winter months and when i am not busy in teh summer and a box at my house. The box at teh shop only has mac tools since i am a mac guy myself, but as far as home, i have mostly craftsman among sk and snap-on and others, becasue if i break a tool at home i can go right down the road to sears and get a new replacemnt right away. If it was mac, snapon, sk, matco, i would have to wait till the dealer give me a replacement. So i would recommend craftsmnans as a great homeonwer tool for teh warrenty and price. LawnInOrder