pivoting front axle on cub tanks...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by daveintoledo, Apr 7, 2006.

1. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

which is better, locked or not.....thanks for any input
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The front axle on my 260Z pivots. I use it locked and unlocked. Unlocked for most of my accounts, especially large flat ones where I reach higher ground speeds to smooth out the ride, and it does a lot. I keep it locked on a few properties where the terrian changes a lot and it's not nice, even ground. With it locked I can go places I couldn't with it locked and not have to worry about scalping. Experimenting with it will help you understand when and where to have it locked and unlocked.
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have all my cub tanks locked in, seems to give a better cut for us.
  4. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i hate it unlocked. it does ride better unlocked but the mower just dont feel tuff then and you also scalp more. i always keep mine locked. if you did not try locking the front, try it. the mower feels alot better in my opinon and then you could hold hills perty good to.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I say run it locked. With it unlocked you may get a slightly better ride but you will scalp and gouge in a lot worse.
  6. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Last fall one of our experts on this site pointed how a pivoting front axle on a mid-mount was better for working/turning on certain slopes.

It all boils down to your terrain. I have used a front mount deck with this option. UNLOCKED - If you have a hole in the ground on one side, and your tire drops into it, you will scalp. LOCKED - You do not scalp near as bad if at all.

You really get use mowing with either way, since we are always surveying whats ahead of us (well, at least the owners/operators survey ahead).