1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pivoting front axle?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eldon, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Eldon

Eldon LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

:blob3: I'm still trying to decide on my first mid-mount ZTR. One thing that confuses me is the pivoting front axle concept. Advantages- Disadvantages? It seems like a no brainer in favor of, but obviously isn't. It will be used on all types of terrain, if that makes a difference.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

When The Tire Go's In the hole The deck Drops And scalps, Plus You Can't run Jrco products Ie Tyne Detacher.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Oh Try One Of these!

smaller 664.jpg
  4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

My Tanks got them, but there locked out all the time, by that I mean, they don't pivot, but the option's there. Or better yet try one of these:)

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My Gravely 272z has them. Or you can easily change it back to a non-pivoting configuration.
  6. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I have the Kubota ZD-21 with the pivoting front axle. My opinion is that it makes the tractor ride better and reduces stress on the frame. As to the scalping issue, I can not speak with definite knowledge. I have not noticed a scalping problem after nearly 20 years of mowing our mostly rough acreage with, first, a Gilson with 48" deck, then a Kubota G2460G garden tractor with 60" deck, and now with the ZD-21 also with a 60" deck. All have had a pivoting front axle. I do have the deck rollers set at factory recommended clearance from the ground.

Geometrically, if a wheel drops in a dip, the axle pivot point, which is what holds up the front of the tractor, will only drop about half as much. I say "about" because the Kubota front axle is not pivoted in the center of the axle, but rather a little off center. That occurs because the left axle half is shorter to make the left side of the mower a bit more manueverable around obstructions.

Incidentally, I call the unit a tractor because that is what Kubota calls it in the factory manual.