Pivoting Front Axles ?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by JEFF ZALMANOFF, Feb 22, 2002.

1. JEFF ZALMANOFF

JEFF ZALMANOFF LawnSite Member

Are you going to put pivoting front axles on your zero turn mowers in the future ? if not is there a reason it seems like it would inprove a already good product . also are you going to stay with side saddle fuel takes or are you possibly going to hidded type like scag turf tiger has i really like one fill point and then are out of the way . thanks jeff

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jeff,

There are advantages and disadvantages to both the pivoting axle and the single fill location for fuel. As always if market demands says we need to make a change we certainly will. Let me know which you prefer once you understand why we do things the way we do.

Some of the drawbacks to a pivoting axle would be mowing in rough terrain with low areas or holes. When one wheel of the pivoting axle drops in a hole the deck drops as well. This can cause scalping, uneven cut as well as blade, spindle and deck damage. With a fixed or solid axle design the lawn still looks smooth, level and has a much cleaner look to it. The same applies when mowing near curbs. If you get too close to a curb and drop one front tire off the edge what will happen. With our design you can actually hang one wheel over the curb and not only reduce the amount of trimming required but do so with much less risk of damaging the mower. A pivoting axle can also make for a much rougher ride. If a front tire drops in a hole and it is mounted to a pivoting axle the wheel falls all the way to the bottom and thus the operator feels more impacts and has a rougher ride. In out opinion the fixed axle is better for the yard, the operator and the machine.

A single fuel filler opening has some advantages. One advantage of the duel tanks with duel inlets is that when you run one tank dry and switch over you can make a mental note that you need to refuel. With a single tank once your dry you've got to refuel and the fuel can may not be in the most convenient location such as in your truck on the far side of a 5 acre property.

Like I said each has advantages and each has disadvantages, which do you prefer?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you

Terry

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I would definitely stick w/ the fixed axle! And the current fuel tank design is great for now. There's probably a slightly better design waiting to be discovered, but it will probably still use dual tanks....

4. eXmark

Vibe,

Please e-mail me at terry.eckert@exmark.com and let me know what you don't like about the dual tanks. Just want to make things better if we can.

Thanks

Terry

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You could always go a little bigger :eek: with the capacity.

But the biggest addition that I'd be willing to spend money on as an option would be an accurate fuel gauge!!!

My old JD F-935 had an excellent setup with an automotive sending unit/gauge that had a switch so you could monitor either saddle tank.

As for the pivot axle design. The other major drawback would be the eventual wear on that center bolt/bushing. Keep them rigid!

One more improvement would be to do away with the "wheelie bars" on the back of the Lazers. Modify them so we can back up to a curb and hop up over it! Maybe cut them and make them at a 45* angle instead of the present 90*.

Keep up the eXcellent work!

6. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark, since it was mentioned I'd like to add my opinion. I like the axle's like they are. There are many places I have to a hang a tire off the curb and I love being able to do that. As far as the tank design, I see no problems. If you ever decide to go to a single tank a small resivour like motorcylcles have would be a great option. But, I would REALLY LIKE to see a gauge to let me know how much gas is in each tank. It doesn't even have to be very precise. All I would like to know is when I'm getting low. I've had problems with employees running the tank dry on the 26 efi and it's a huge down time for me. I've seen craftsman mowers that have a simple dial on the top and that would even be O.K. with me.

BTW, I love all of my eXmark's (only 4 for now) and plan to keep them as my front line mowers forever. Keep up the good work.

Thank you,

Ssouth

7. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

If I may add a comment about fuel tanks. I dont own a rider yet but on my Exmark walk behind I wish the fuel cap had a float guage in it. I know it is easy enough to remove the cap and look in but I get busy and focused on my mowing and forget to look. I would not mind if it was an add on option that I could go to the dealer and purchase. If you already have such a device let me know and I will gladly make a purchase.

As for the riders, My friend has an Exmark and he has installed some sort of beeper with a silence switch on his secondary tank. He said when it gets down about 2/3 it will beep untill he silences it. He is good with computers and electronics. I think that could be a fix for people who want a warning that they are running low. Cost might prohibit this on a large scale...???

Thanks,
    Roger

8. eXmark

Roger,

A beeper! Sounds like your friend is someone we should talk to. If you get a chance have him give us a call at 800-667-5296. You never know, it might be something that we could implement. In either case we'd sure like to talk to him.

Thanks

Terry