1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

PJ dump trickle charge not working, hardwiring to truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pitrack, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

Here is another connector, its for winches. Uses 4 gauge wire, and also has plugs to cover the connector when not in use.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/sup..._content=pla&gclid=CNnErLe17rQCFQWonQodXnIAxQ

Again, just a quick google search.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/140764274126?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...tml?feed=npn&gclid=CMTQmP617rQCFQq0nQodlCAANw

I found these connectors locally, but cant remember where. I didnt have the dust covers for mine, but since this seems to be an issue for you get these. I am in FLA so I dont have to deal with snow and what not...

2. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey thanks man, I'm going to try a few more local places tomorrow morning but if I can't come up with anything I will order the ones with the dust covers online.

Salt and debris does wonders on our trucks not to mention the underside of them.

Thanks again

3. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Did you take a multi meter to the charger to make sure it's still functioning at 100%?

4. pitrack

Honestly I'm not even sure where the charger is at. I'm assuming it doesn't work since I'm having the problems. Guys that sell PJ locally here say its a common problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PlantscapeSolutions

I have a 20' PJ Dump trailer myself. I would think chargers would only be good for a few years before they start to go south.

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I have PJ dump, didn't read everything on this thread,but do it charge only when hooked up to the truck and charge when running? If so,how much of a charge are you going to get running so little. You could pick up a solar battery charger and hook it up to the trailer battery to keep a full charge in it.

7. PlantscapeSolutions

If you buy a charger with a trickle charge setting it will greatly extend the life of your batteries. My trailer has two batteries.

8. pitrack

Yes I would believe it only charges when I am driving and the trailer is hooked up. There are many many times when the trailer is hooked up to my truck (running) for over an hour. Even after charging the battery overnight to a full charge it still can't dump more than 2-3 times without needing another charge.

I just get sick of taking the battery out of the trailer every night to charge it. (I don't park the trailer close to power so I can't just hook the charger up when it's still in the trailer).

9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Like this.

[​IMG]

10. materialmovers

materialmovers LawnSite Member

I just went through this about 2 months ago. I haul more with my dump trailer more than maybe I should, but its what I have and I am not buying a dump truck yet. It's a PJ and its at 2011. I was having problems with my battery and I took it into my local battery/alternator shop and had it load tested and its charging amps were half of what it should be. I had sulfated the plate from using a trickle charger and not getting a deep cycle charge(charged after every use, but trickle charger didnt have enough amp/hr to charge a deep cycle over night). When I bought the trailer 5 to 6 loads were common, after a year I was down to 4 and by this fall I was down to 3. The shop suggested that I run jumper cable wire with a battery isolator in it to make sure I didn't have any troubles smoking my alternator or worse. Same forklift style plugs that have been shown on here. I ran the wire and got it all cut and set up and then took it back and the soldered all the ends and put that heat shrink wrap on them all. Total was $422 from them and my time, well worth it! Seems to not struggle so bad. I was starting in on hauling 150 loads of topsoil in for a contractor with it before it snowed and it was working great. I know it seems silly, but its busy work through the winter, since no snow for 20ish days and none in long range. Feel free to ask it you have anymore questions.