PJ trailer worth the extra cash?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cuttenup, Feb 12, 2014.

1. cuttenup

cuttenup LawnSite Member
    from NETN

Im going to be buying a larger trailer this year and have consider getting a PJ brand but wondered if they are worth the extra cash that they cost compared to your regular run of the mill trailers? If you have a PJ trailer I would like to here your thoughts? Likes, dislikes and do you think they are worth what they cost. Im looking at either a 14 or 16 ft tandem.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've had several PJs. They're great trailers but I'm not sure if they're much better than most others.

My dealer used to sell PJs and Load Trails primarily. But once he started carrying Maxeys, that's what he sells mostly in the 14'-18' range. His big heavy trailers are mostly PJs. What other brands are in your area?

3. Raege

Raege LawnSite Member

We have a 24' PJ deckover and I'm impressed with its quality. Wires aren't exposed, well built and it even came with manuals. I don't know whether their quality extends throughout its line of trailers but I'm sure it does. We've had experience with plenty of H&H utility trailers and while they're not bad for the money, I would pay more for a PJ as my next utility trailer.

4. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

They are a regular run of the mill trailer, they are not junk but definitely not the best. Its a good trailer for the money but if its used daily their a lot more options that will last years longer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cuttenup

cuttenup LawnSite Member
    from NETN

There is just not to much to choose from in my area when it comes to a heavier built trailer. There is a guy that will be opening up in a few weeks that is going to be a dealer for Gator Made trailers. That's about it. No one else has anything that is even close to the same build quality as the PJ's and I have to drive 3 hrs to get to the closest dealer for them.

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I have owned a PJ 14k dump since 2005. It is a well built trailer, excellent paint job, and they look sharp several years later.

I would buy a PJ again even though they are a little more than the big local competitor Big Tex. I don't have my PJ on the road as much as I did my Big Tex but I dumped really heavy oak logs > 2k lbs in it and filled it up several times. I went through tires a lot but that wasn't a PJ issue. I had one problem with brakes. It was easier to get my local brake company to replace a magnet than take it back to the dealer but it was a cheap fix.

7. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pj is a great for a cheap trailer, ive had a few but they dont come close to my Eager Beaver or CAM.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a pj dump purchased new last year an the paint is absolutely terrible on it. Outside and in.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

I picked up a new 83" x 16ft tandem utility for $2700 last year and love it. We've run PJ's since 2003 and have never had a problem with them, they put out a product that preforms as good as it looks. Well worth the extra coin

10. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one two years ago, and I love mine. It's an 18 ft, 83 in, with 2 ft dovetail, and the heavy duty ramp gate. Excellent trailer!!