PJ Trailers -- Ordered mine today

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rreyn1812, Mar 7, 2012.

1. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

I know there have been some questions about PJ trailers, however, I couldn't find any of the threads, so I decided to start a new one.

PJ trailers are very well built; a total quality trailer. A new dealer just opened a few miles from my house, so I've been stopping by there every few days to drool. After using a brake-less, generic 16 foot, 77 inch wide trailer, modified by a local welder, for a few years, I'm pretty sure of the kinds of things I need in a trailer to support my work. Haven't been able to find anything really close, so I decided today to order one just like I want.

So, the basic trailer will be a PJ utility (U8-18), 18ft long, 83 inches wide, 2 ft dovetail, 2 ft removable sides (open, no mesh) with pipe top rail, 5.2K axles (one with brakes), 7K lb jack, spare wheel/tire, landscape box, 4 ft heavy duty ramp with spring assist (verified that I will still need my Gorilla lifts), 2-5/16 inch coupler & 16 inch cross-members.

This should fill my needs pretty well. Hauling mowers around, and also cut wood, cuttings from prunings, varous types of soil, and mulch. With having only one trailer for my business, an open trailer is a necessity.

A picture of the basic PJ U8 trailer is seen below. Will update with pics of the trailer I ordered when it comes in, around 4 to 6 weeks. Should be here by the time mowing kicks into high gear, but I noticed today that the bermuda is starting to green up, so it won't be long.

U8_large.jpg

2. rreyn1812

This is a PJ landscape trailer with the 2 ft mesh sides.

PJ-Landscape-Trailer.jpg

3. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

Can you give a ballpark figure on how much it cost, set up like that?

4. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You better head back to the dealer and have them to put trailer brakes on both axles. It will much cheaper then to do it later.

5. rreyn1812

Roughly $3,400 to $3,600.

6. rreyn1812

What is your reasoning for saying that you should have brakes on both axles? Thx.

7. DirtworXcc

DirtworXcc LawnSite Member

cant speak for Arkansas but in most of the north east trailers have to have brakes on both axles by law. plus i think its a little smoother stopping power ...sounds funny, but if your loaded front heavy you could drag a rear brake setup, reverse for a front axle set up and around here at least "humped" drives, dirt roads, curbs and other trailer flexing topographies will send braked axles skidding ......plus the simple fact that we aren't putting our grandparents 400 dollar sears rider on these things anymore....lots o money to risk for a couple hundred in savings on a single brake axles trailer ......just my 2 cents ....wait 1 cent these days...lol

8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I added brakes to my back axle this summer, way better in traffic with 2 mowers and all the gear on there. It will almost be like not having a trailer while driving normal. I think that brakes should be standard on every trailer, much safer that way. If its heavy enough for an axle then its heavy enough for another set of brakes

9. rreyn1812

Did a quick search of the web and mostly seems to be a safety issue with heavy loads, especially at higher speeds. Arkansas only requires brakes on one axle, but seems like it may be prudent to go with brakes on both. Thanks for the comments and gettin' the juices flowing!!

10. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You definitely want brakes on both axles since you upgraded to the 5200lb axles. One brake axle is going to have a hard time stopping 9-10k lbs. I have 5200lb axles and both of them have brakes, makes stopping at full load easy. Shouldn't be but a couple hundred more for the upgrade.