Pl400

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cenlo, Apr 28, 2006.

1. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

The cam drive vs the rotary for holes.....I have a LA28 and hate it because of the rocky soil in my area. Does anyone no if the PL400 would be the same.

2. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in the aerator biz for over 30 years and I can tell you this. Cam drive machines will have problems in rocky or very hard soil. It is just the nature of the beast. When you are driving steel into the ground it has to be soft and nothing in it. We went with rolling aerators early on in the 1970s because of this very problem. Rolling aerators are designed for home lawns with crap under the ground. They were also designed for beginners that will hit stuff to operate. they are made that way for this reason. People can hit stuff with them and not break them.

Cam drive were originally designed for golf and other finished turf where you know what is in the ground. The LA 28 does not have a fail safe device in it to protect it and it breaks alot of parts. All cam drives do. If you have bad soils and rock I would advise you to stay away from cam drive units you are just asking for problems.

3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Try a Turfco 42" towbehind, it wil be the last aerator you ever buy, but you do need a 26" for perimeters and tight areas