PL600,800 Problems?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kevinsky, Oct 7, 2006.

1. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I am planning on buying a PL800 aerator this month. I was told that there are problems with the gear reduction unit breaking where it is bolted to the Briggs engine. Is there any merit to this?

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have one the same engine with gear reduct and have had no problem. I can't imagine there would be a problem since these engines have been around for quite a while. If you are woried go with the honda instead.

3. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I don't think it has anything to do with the engine, but perhaps is stressed due to the way the engine is mounted perhaps?

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Is this only a Brigg's problem? I have the Honda and it has been perfect so far. :)

5. sildoc

I realize this and I have the pl400 with the briggs. No problem as of yet. The problem that I have had with the plugr is the retractor cable breaking. I am looking for a cable maker so that I can up the size of the cable and maybe look at different attachments to resolve this problem.

6. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I think it is a problem with the briggs only. Is the engine mounted in a way that the cam axle puts stress on the reduction gear box? Is there a customer support number so I could contact the manufacturer?

7. sildoc

its on their web site plugr.com you can email or call them.

8. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

Will Do; Thanks!

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I had to bring up this old thread after doing a search.

Today while running my Plugr 600H, it suddenly stopped and I heard an unusual but light "clunk" sound. I knew I had problems when I realized it was locked up.

I pulled the cover off the gear box and found a chewed up bolt laying at the bottom while the gear coming from the engine had tooth damage. This bolt appeared to come from a mount in the gear box to the Honda block.

I know I've had this unit 3 seasons but I'm only a "one man show". I aerate approximately 15-20 lawns per year. There's no way this should have happened.

Anyone else heard of similar issues? :confused:

10. sildoc

Had the cam break this spring. We aerate plenty of lawns. I can say it was out of warranty and plugr still took care of every thing.