Placed a bid today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holders Residential, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Holders Residential

Holders Residential LawnSite Member

I bid on a 4.5 acre condo complex it has 35 units the HOA called me. This yard is pretty rough especially in the back where a fairly steep hill goes down to a lake that is 560 ft long it has alot of ruts and dips and trees. There is alot of trimming 4sets of condos with sidewalks and parking lots and driveways. I bid 400.00 to mow blow and trim I thought this might be high for the amount of property but it had some difficult terrain. I usually only do homeowners lawns and dont have much experience bidding these type of properties.What do you think?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Doesn't sound high to me. Depending on the trimming and edging though. Do you have to blow the entire parking lot? I would say $400 is about the right ballpark....just going on your description.

3. Holders Residential

Thanks it felt alittle wierd bidding almost 100.00 an acre. I will be blowing off the grass clippings off of the parking lot. Probably wont get it though to many around here that will cut that price in half. But if yhey want it to look good they will call me. The lady I talked to seemed picky about how it should look. But alot of the time that means they are cheap to.

4. S&M Lawn Care

S&M Lawn Care LawnSite Member

What is an estimate of how long the job will take each visit?????

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

If you don't get it then, oh well. Don't let it get you down. It just means some lowballer will be cussing everytime he is at the place losing money. I just got turned down today for a little 1/4 acre residential with plenty of edging and trimming. I told them the price and the immediately had this painful look on their face and said they couldn't afford it. They apparently have money...but they are older and most likely on a strict budget. I simply told them thank you, if you change your mind or need anything, then call me. Like someone's sig on here,...It's not my job to make it affordable, it's your job to afford it. I love that line!

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

$100 an acre of mow, trim, and blow isn't high. I was getting $85 for 1/3 acre with 20 minutes of trimming/edging. I was in and out in 1 hour 15 minutes :drinkup:

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

price sounds good to me, like 3-4hrs for one person. you should be able to charge a min of $85/hr to run a ztr

8. Holders Residential

Problem is around here even the bigger landscape companies bid real low on this size of properties. I know of one them who mows about ten acres with two T.T. and three people. For our electric co-op for 240.00 per cut. I have a friend who works their and knows what the bid is.