Placemat ad's? any luck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by N.H.BOY, Mar 22, 2007.

1. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys have any luck with the "placemat" ad's at local rest. I just got a quote for $270 for 4 months at 6 rest. in area. Any luck with these?? HELP

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I think it could work in the right location. It is all about name recognition and I think this will help.

I have never done it.

3. N.H.BOY

Good price ya think??

4. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

I think it would work out good for you. The four months will take you into the summer, and these placemats are usually found in diners and other restuarants of the same style. I had a flyer up in a couple diners before and got a ton of calls for leaf clean ups and hedge trimming.

5. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

I have one in a local diner. It cost only $40 for 6 months so I said what the heck. Got two new customers from it so far and they are close by.
    Blocks away.

6. N.H.BOY

Hey LUGNUT thank for response-- I see that you like racin-I also see your #is 73. My good freind races alot in N.H. mod. and his # is also 73. Joey Tettrault

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it would be a bad investment because a lot of people will see your ad with it being in a res.

8. N.H.BOY

Yea that is what I thought. I read them when waiting for food.

9. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

It's worth the $270....One customer from it pays for the cost of the ad and then some !

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've said this before, and I will say it again. People do limited recognition of visual ads that are insignificant. First, let's quickly analyze the the mat itself. Obviously, the outer edges of the print is the prime real estate on the mat preferably on the right or the left (better left). Why? For a number of reasons. First, the amount of "time of exposure" is limited - limited to the time spent in the restaurant. Now, you cover that with a plate, it is cut down BY 75%. After that, when dinner is all done, then a coffee cup often sits in the center to center right (more people are right handed than left). If it is at the bottom, it is most apt to get spilled on, or food dumped on it. At the top, it is out of sight to the reader. On the sides, it stands out more, gets more exposure, and is less apt to get messed up. Now, let's talk content. Simply looking at an ad and recognizing it is all well and good. However, people recognize things of VALUE. You have to give them something of worth. Something that is material, that they have reason to keep. You give them a $10 off your first order, or a percentage off, and that is something they want to possess. The thing is, is that you have to do this in the form of a coupon on the ad. THAT way, they take the ad with the. Who is more liable to call, someone who has your ad in their wallet, or someone who saw your ad for a total of 5 minutes - 4 days ago? (What was that number, again)?
    Now, not only should it be done in a coupon form, there are also clever little things you could do. Now, if it was ME that was going to do this,...I would send my draft for my ad in,...but guess what? It would be upside down. That's right. Completely inverted. Now, who's ad is going to get the most attention? People would be saying. "What the ....?" But so what? They are going to make it a POINT to read your ad, aren't they? If the mat co. refuses to do it, you just tell the salesman "Ok,...I'll pass, then." Guess what? I bet he whistles a different tune!
    Note: Excerpts of this post were taken from Joe's book entitled Marketing 101. :dancing: