placement of valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, Jul 24, 2006.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

Is there any disadvantage to placing the valves at different locations so that you don't have to use so much pipe when you have run all the zones from one valve box? I've done a couple of installs where I have the mainline going around the house and each zone branches off with a valve by the zone.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

On a residential install I guess it would boil down to personal taste. There would be advantages/disadvantages to either way depending on whether you're trenching/plowing and other considerations.

3. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

One advantage I could see to locating the vavles through out the yard rather than in one valve box is perhaps the individual valves can be located in those small round valve boxes (6"?) rather than the 12x16 big boxes. I've afraid the "green" of those large boxes doesn't blend with the turf... but I'm finding that the grass quickly grows to almost hide the small valve boxes.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea the disadvantage is it's more work to install and a hassle to maintain..plus the running of the valve wires all over the place can lead to troubleshooting problems later on. Running around all over back and forth to run the valves manualy for troubleshooting
    purposes, ect.
    Save on pipe? Pipe is much less expensive than irrigation repair hours.

5. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We run [multi-strand] wire out with mainline to each area. We hide a 10" round (ISO) and a STD in the plantings where possible but sometimes they end up in the grass. The only trouble I've seen [in my limited exposure] is the gardening crews burying the covers or not trimming them when they are installed in the turf. :hammerhead:

Most of my clients have either remote hard-wired or pigtails wired so I don't often get into the boxes. For those that aren't, I like the access of the VB in the field. It sure makes tune-ups easy (flagging heads for "cookie-cutting", nozzle cleaning, and other adjustments).

-Russ

6. DarkLotus

DarkLotus LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I prefer keeping a centralized valvebox with a manifold. Trying to find a valve box out in the field from someone else's system wastes time/money. You'll end up saving more running the extra pipe in the long run. Like SheShovel said, wire too can and will be an issue in years to come and turning valves on manually...

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Will work on small systems but never on large systems. You WILL be running a lot of extra lateral lines or be jogging back and forth accumulating a lot of mileage on your boots. :laugh:

Get a remote! :)

8. DarkLotus

DarkLotus LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Aye, should have specified... on most residential systems ;)

9. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

One central manifold - 12 valves (six to the front, six to the back) Seems like a helluva lot of pipes running from one location. Can't see how much you would need to excavate to get all those pipes buried. And I have some residences that have 30+ valves.

It is not that difficult to run wire from valve location to valve location, and it is a lot less expensive than pipe. And you need to run larger pipe for the long distance to compensate for friction losses. One main line of larger size and the valves and lateral piping.

As for finding the valves - a valve locator and a long-handled screwdriver. And it's time and material (T&M) to locate valves including a charge for the locator - $25.00 just to hook it up.

Different techniques I guess.

10. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Running mainline out with wire into the field allows for future expansion. No matter what the client says, more often than not, they want to "add a little zone" a year or two later.

-Russ