placing bids and getting accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jarroo's lawncare, Feb 8, 2005.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

I placed my first bid today on a 50 unit condo complex that is about 1.5 to 2 acres any idea what you guys would have charged and I am getting ready to start handing out flyers to get some residential accounts any advice on selling services topotential customers.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

How long will it take?
    How much trimming and edging is there?
    Can you use a 48 or bigger on all of it?
    How many sidewalks and lots are there to blow off?

Lots of variables go into that.

3. jarroo's lawncare

the front of the complex would have to be pushmowed with a small mower and the back can be done with a large walkbehind or rider I was going to use a 48 inch viking hydro. as for trimming lots of it, I heard it takes one person all day from morning to night.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I just bid a 59 Unit hoa around 5 acres total and about 2 in turf. All common areas could be mowed with my larger mowers but all back yards and some front needed a 21. I figured 12-14 hours including adjusting sprinkler timers and cleaning a fountain. 5 x a year fert and cleaning of a stream bed. It came out to 46570 for the year at 40 mows a year. Irrgation, aeration, mulch, leaf cleanups, light bulbs and over seed are extras.
    There are 5 bids so far and every one is in the same 45000 bench mark.
    As for your area I cant really help you as to the going rate. Figure what you need to cover costs and then add the desired % of profit.
    I always have a hard time with these being solo because the hourly rate is not as high as doing straight residential. However parking the truck and having no windsheild time is priceless.

5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Im solo and i can tell you if i had to spend an entire day there (12-14 hours), and it was 2 acres i would charge around $300-350. Thats all depending on the amount of trimming is. It sounds like there is alot considering you can mow 2 acres ideally with a 48 in about 2 hours. Seems to me like its mostly tedious stuff like push mowing and trimming thats going to take you so long. If your solo think about how much you want to make an hour after taxes.

6. jarroo's lawncare

my dad and I thought it over and came up with this:

50 units @ $11.00 per unit which comes to $561.00 per cut is this an accurate way to figure it up and most likely someone will be helping with the trimming and blowing of the walks and driveways.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

You cant forget about trimming shrubs, weeding and other stuff. Mowing, edging and blowing surfaces aren't the only thing you do on these large accounts. I estimate mowing to be 6 hours on my bid but the edging will take another 6 every other week or so. throw in weeding, constant hedge trimming to keep them looking good and other misc. maintenance and you have an average of 12-14 hours.

8. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

We just bid $9.00 per unit for 34 units(small to average size lawns...) I recieved a call letting us know that we were under-bid by $4.00 per unit!!! The home association only took 3 bids, one of the other companies and us were .50 apart in our bids. I would suggest bidding the price you came up with and sticking to it...just keep in mind that some companies will work for nothing just to get a large contract...I guess what I am saying is don't get your hopes, but I hope you get the contract..good luck.

9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

There is nothing worse than getting the bid by lowballing, then working all the time for nothing. It is better to be unemployed, than employed and losing money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bartlc

bartlc LawnSite Member