1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Placing flyers or cards in windshield wipers??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Kingspointe, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Kingspointe

Kingspointe LawnSite Member

I also posted this in the Turf Marketing thread....any suggestions!?

I thought about doing this in the spring time in local parking lots such as meijers, home depot, target, etc. My concern was can I get in trouble if the flyers possibly blow out due to the wind and will I be liable to clean up the lot or pay fines? It seems like a good idea because everyone will see those and have to retrieve them. Thanks!
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I believe this idea has been mentioned before on this forum, and if I'm correct, the general consensus was, Don't do it!

I have come out from a store and arrived at my car and have found a flier under the wiper before, and I have never bothered to read any of them. In fact, I was quite irriated that anyone was close enough to my car to be monkeying around with it by lifting up the windshield wiper.
    I think it is a poor way to market yourself. I think it reeks of laziness. (Not saying you are lazy, just the idea is a lazy one.)

I realize you are just trying to come up with good ways to get your name out there. This just isn't one of them.
    Don't do it!
  3. Kingspointe

I think there was one also on the subject. It kinda of flashed through my mind, and then people swearing and crumpling up my flyer flashed too. This past year I passed out flyers on mailboxes and it worked great! Plus I think littering would be in effect if ppl throw them all over and it has my # on the paper. Thanks for the reply!:)
  4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I *COULD* see someone trying to sue you beause they feel you either damaged something on their windshield, the wipers, or maybe even scratched the paint leaning over. I've heard of less friviolous lawsuits, but hey, this would be messing with someones property and its un-deniebly you that did it....

I don't anyone would ever be able to sue that you damaged their mailbox by putting a single piece of paper in it though...

Plus you can't hit your target area doing Home Depot. Heck, you may get interested customers that are 35 miles away... Then what are you going to do?

And Home Depot is typically male.. and males that are "do-it" themselvers... How many of THOSE males do you think need help cutting their grass?

Personally, I've done MUCH MUCH Better targeting single (divorced) females with children who are holding down a house. They work full time, raising smaller kids in smaller houses.. There is no way they have time or energy for a mower........

5. Kingspointe

yep,, i've had the same experience, usually single women, and some elders. I live close to a base, so I do have 1 family thats at Selfridge all the time, and if not , they're in alaska. So I'm thinking how to get more of them, prlly direct mail or the paper would be good
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Look around in the parking lot were people do this. They are all on the ground. Now they are trash, with your name on it.
  7. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

dont my flyers on my car as long as its for a keg party
  8. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

And dont your Lawnsite on your keyboard as long as your drunk to..K
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Kingspointe,

How many of those people are potential clients? Just something to consider.
  10. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

And each potenial customer is worth about $1000 per mowing season.