Plan for the fall.......how does it look?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BostonBull, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my fall plan..........

August:
    Spray a heavy dose of PHC BioPack

Mid September
    Dethatch my entire lawn
    Aerate
    Gypsum
    Lime
    Seed (Penningtons smart seed?)

Once seed starts to grow,
    more Biopack
    Topdress with compost
    OR
    Spray Tea

November
    Maybe an organic fert......MAYBE.

any comments?

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

welllllllll, to mmmeeeee it seems that you just blew a load of cash on some sea weed that you could get for free??? Boston?harbor? tea in the water to rebel from taxes?? maybe some free sea weed in the deal????????????

also try adding the lime and drywall to the compost??? better results I will guarantee that way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bills orange story?? we live it all the time. put all that stuff in the compost and only have 1 app????????

3. BostonBull

TreeGal

great plan but where do I get THAT compost around ME? tough to come by!

so just tea, and lime. no gypsum or aeration for my clay/sand soil. No seed for the fall? no dethatch?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you add gypsum AND lime? What is the pH, Ca, Mg, S of your soil?

Also, no point in applying anything when there is snow on the ground. :)

5. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I believe THAT compost is the compost you have available plus adding the ingredients yall are talking about. You aren't going to find a specific compost for your own needs, she is saying rather than taking all that stuff and putting it on the lawn, mix it in your compost, then put it on the lawn.

Take basic compost, find what the lawn needs, and add it to the compost, not the lawn. It will hold it and the turf will use it more effeciently.

Correct tree? Testing how I am doing on understanding all of this.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Use what you have available .... and preferably from the green waste stream. The only thing you really need be concerned with is heavy metals for your typical non-food crop uses.

7. BostonBull

I am on a 6K sq/ft lot. no place here for a compost pile. I can get tea, OR compost delivered. I don't think there will be snow on the ground in November, I was mowing last November, but obviously don't apply anything with snow there.

I know trees well, not turf and not a whole lot about organics. I am trying to learn, and use what's available in my region, cheaply. I get gypsum, lime, Biopack, tea, and some other small stuff through my co. for basically free.

I am just trying to establish my lawn and do it economically.

8. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing that I am not sure of is whether the ingredients have to be composted in or if you can just mix it into the compost then apply right away. I haven't gotten that far. If you can just mix it and go then you could do that pretty easily in a wheel barrel it would seem.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If your just going to mix it with the compost and apply, you might as well just apply it straight, unless your looking to save a couple of application steps.

Get the compost delivered. Compost does a soil good!

10. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I think the idea is that the active microbes make it more effective in some way? If you have finished compost, maybe mix in a small amount of fresh C and N when you mix the lime/gypsym in, keep it moist and let the microbes spike a little to work on it. Or is this idea off?