1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plane Trip to get plants: do what you gotta do

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mdvaden, Feb 17, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw Medford / Ashland Oregon's biggest nursery today. Nice, but more like Portland's biggest retail.

A plan had to be formed in case I need some big things or many things in case those run out.

Uhaul does not allow plants in their trucks, but does on their trailers. No round trip rentals either. And I don't want to put 600 miles on my truck.

The plan:

1. Fly to Portland 5 am in the morning and arrive near 6 am. $250.
    2. Take the light rail and bus that goes all the way from the airport to Tigard.
    3. Uhaul is there in Tigard. Rent the reserved truck with a trailer one way south.
    4. 9 am, go to Loen Wholesale Nursery - Noon, go to Teufel Wholesale Nursery.
    5. Visit a friend (HEAR THAT LEWIS LANDSCAPE!!) and take a nap.
    6. 7pm - Sun starts to set, tarp the load, head south, arrive at Midnight.

Next day, unload plants. Total cost under $1000.

I doubt I'll see this happen often, but it's nice to make a back up plan.

This week, I just started offering the service of moving BIG TREES in Medford. Apparently there is not one tree spade in the city. And nobody here is offering big tree moving. One, I'm the only arborist with a landscapers license which is needed. Most landscapers don't have the expertise or desire for the task.

In a growing metro area, I'm finally in a position to be a prototype business in a region. This will be a fun adventure to see how it pans out.
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

not that I'm condoning breakingthe rules...but I'm sure a lot goes on in those Uhual trucks that are against the rules...Iwould think if you had a tarp laid down on the floor to protect it, and then hosed/washed the inside real good, uhual would be none the wiser...
  3. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

My folks own a pretty big wholesale nursery on the East coast. They will take care of shipping and have prices negotiated with a couple of local trucking companies. I'm sure any large wholesaler would do the same...probably cheaper than a plane ticket and truck rental.