Planet Landscape Certified courses

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dg0123, Sep 28, 2005.

1. dg0123

dg0123 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have not taken the planet classes, I believe all certifications are helpful especially if your a employee, if you are an owner it provides you the opportunity to position yourself as an expert in the industry. Thats one of the things that was so attractive about this industry. Take a few classes study for the test and wolah, your certified and worth more money. Compare that to college. You can't. I have had people work for me with a horticulture degree and they didn't even know the names of the local plant varieties. I know someone with an ACLP (Arizona Certified Landscape Professional) certification knows their stuff. Get that and the arborist certification and you could begin to teach classes and that my friend is positioning yourself as a professional in the industry. If I'm right planet used to be ALCA (American landscape contractors association). If that's the same classes I have heard they were pretty good if its the same one the test is both written and hands on. Only 7% of first time applicants pass the Arizona ALCA test. Worst case scenario you become certified and fewer plants die and you lose less money thats always good too...

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a PLANET CLP. Test was very rigorus. For me, the test reinforced a ton of business concepts I already grasped. For others, it will teach you a ton of business concepts that will take you to the next level.

CLP is geared towards business owners/mgrs.
    CLT is geared towards field laborers

other designations are specific to the sub set of the industry you work.

All are very worthwhile and will advance you and your business, providing you use them to your advantage.

4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I have O.C.N.T. 'Landscape'. Ohio Certified Nursery Tech I want to get the CLT and it really does help getting more business.

5. illday

illday LawnSite Member

this should keep me busy this winter. thanks for the info

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

"Keep me busy for the winter" you guys make me sick :blob3: what I wouldnt give for even one month of no work. With all that time off your operations should run smooth as silk. Get certified!!!

7. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Would the CLP course benefit an all-mowing operation, or is it geared primarily towards full service landscaping companies?

Looks very interesting.

8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Like i mentioned, the value of this course is how you use the information. If you actually put the knowledge and ideas to work in your company, then yes it will benefit everyone. If you do nothing with what you learned then it is obviously wasted. You can get as much out of them as you want. If you already have a silky smooth operation that has perfected all of it's systems, then you will likely know everything discussed in the study materials. However, if you are lacking in any area, this will lead you in a better direction.

I predominantly have a maintenance company also and I found value in the certification.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have the CLT and I plan on taking the CLP at the GIE expo this fall, and I am also taking the Professional Grounds Manager test offered by the PGMS

I still think what you learn on the street is just as important as what you learn in classes and out of books. Often times the street teaching will do a good job of telling how to do something, wheras the books/classes tell you why you are doing something a particular way.....

after readingthe study modules, I have not learned anything new that I did not already know, but hopfully it will continue to justify my existance at this job and maybe even some more $$$.

FWIW I was hired over a candidate with no degree or specialized education. I have a BS in Hort and a specialty in Turfgrass....but that was 10 years ago....

I was very worried about the CLT when I took it and only missed two sections. I am also concerned about the CLP, but I think I'll do OK....

10. northeastpropertymgmt

northeastpropertymgmt LawnSite Member

i am right know in high school and am looking t a couple of schools for a degree in turf manegment and Horticulture.
    i will be able to help more people because of the knowleg i will learn so i think that everyone should take classes to better help the custermers i am taking it a little farther cuz i am younger and am able to go to school for my passon
    just my 2cents