PLANET National Day of Service as a PR & Marketing tool

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rheller, Feb 16, 2009.

1. rheller

rheller LawnSite Member
    from NY

PLANET, the national association of landscape professionals is sponsoring its first ever National Day of Service on Earth Day (April 22nd '09) and has put out the call for lawn and landscape pros to give back to their communities on this day. We are signed on because we have a project we were going to work on any way, we support anything that makes the industry look good, and there may be some marketing gravy. Any ideas on ways to use this?

More info at : http://planetdayofservice.org/home/index.php

2. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a website? If you do you could take pictures of your crew working on whatever project you will be doing and have captions saying it was a job giving back to the community and maybe a link to the website where they talk about the program

3. rheller

rheller LawnSite Member
    from NY

Great idea! Will do. Right now we are trying to get some press coverage also. Its a national day of service so landscapers across the country will be participating all on the same day, wear the same shirts etc. we are hoping that will help spur some local coverage.

4. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ya I checked out the site...was tryn to think of somethin to do around here. Some media coverage would be AWESOME!!

5. rheller

rheller LawnSite Member
    from NY

You can do just about anything, aerate a veterans cemetary, overseed, mulch. It doesnt have to be huge. There will be information on how to work the publicity end of it up on the site soon.

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Have you signed up for Greencare for troops yet? I just did and I received a whole packet of info about the program and info about how to get some publicity in your area. I haven't really went through it yet, just figured I'd pass that along.

7. rheller

rheller LawnSite Member
    from NY

We did, but never heard back from them. Im guessing something went wrong and we need to do it again. that is a great program, forget the publicity, its jsut the right thing to do.

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely, I agree. Two of my friends are over in Iraq and my friend/employee is going in April so I see how hard it is on families first hand. So I want to do everything I can to help. If there are some perks for us, than that's cool too.

9. HighlandOutdoor

HighlandOutdoor LawnSite Member

Hey all -

I think that Project Evergreen, the organization behind Green Care for Troops, is a partner along with PLANET in the PLANET Day of Service... And yes, it is an INCREDIBLE program....

Hope everyone is doing well and weathering this storm - I think things like the Day of Service allow us that get involved to "give back" and is a "do differently" than our competitors so that we can get some much needed media exposure in this bizarre economy we're living in...

-Jason

10. Jeffrey Scott!

Jeffrey Scott! LawnSite Member

I think the Day of Service is a great way to create PR for your business, and stir up a reason for customers to call you or to want to do business with you.

Community networking is one of those long term give backs...make you feel good now, and make your business feel good later.

Win Win.

Jeffrey