1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Greg313, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

What does anyone know about PLANET. Is it worth the money to become certified? How much does it actually teach you? Is it more beneficial to read books (and this web-site) on landscape design, price estimating, etc. when first starting a business, and then obtain the ceftificates after a few years in the industry. I did a search and not too much came up about them. Also, if anyone in Houston knows where to take landscape contractor/design courses please post reply.
  2. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

I did not join planet. But I did sign up for the certified turfgrass professional turfgrass course. I have been studying the course and there is a lot of good info. I highly recomend taking some of their courses just to gain knowledge and make yourself standout from a mow joe.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am apart of PLANET, and I used to be a member of PLCAA before the merger. I personally liked PLCAA better before the merger. IT just seems that PLANET anymore is nothing but smoke and no fire. Next year I am seriously thinking about not renewing my membership.

But when I was apart of PLCAA I did the CTP, and the COLP.
  4. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

I was thinking about purchasing material for the Turf grass-cool season cert. Has anybody taken this? I am in the same mindset. Not sure if I should read books from Cornell Co-op and libraries or study for PLANET. I am new to the lawn care industry. I want to study something in parallel to the business plan I will be working on.