1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Planning for Fall Overseed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by joshfcb, Jun 3, 2010.

1. joshfcb

joshfcb LawnSite Member

I am starting to try to get my thoughts together for a fall overseed of my yard. I have owned the house for 2 years now and have overseeded annually, but I have yet to find the right seed.

Background: The house was built on a .75 ac lot in 2005. In the summer of 2006 the owner had the front, sides and small portion of the sides sodded with a turf-type tall fescue. That is all that he knows. I contacted the place that he bought the sod from and they had purged their records.

Soil characteristics: The lot is fairly flat and has normal clay content for western Kentucky which is in the southern portion of zone 6 on the USDA hardiness map. pH was terrible when I bought the house and have made corrections the last 2 falls. I expect pH to be in the normal range when samples are taken in the late summer. I fertilize 3 times/year and would like to get the fourth in but I have a hard time finding a local supplier of a low nitrogen product, much less one that is slow release for for a spring feeding.

There is no in ground irrigation, but I do water, when issues arise. The lot is 90% sun. I have tried the normal lowes seeds, and don't get what I am looking for. I don't have access to a lesco,

I am looking for a dark green, thick bladed tall fescue, that would do well in my area. I need the pros help!

I think I have covered everything, but I will do my best if more questions arise.

2. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I can't help you with the "right" seed, but maybe this will...

Google Search: Kentucky Turf Research

Found this webpage:
    http://www.uky.edu/Ag/ukturf/

Try clicking recommended Varieties on the left side.

You mentioned that the soil has a lot of clay, it may be a good idea to aerate this fall also to loosen up the soil and make it easier for the grass to grow.