1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Planning on purchasing at used Kubota

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by gml9, Jun 29, 2005.

1. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

I'm planning on purchasing a Kubota, 16 horsepower diesel for my lawn business(bushogging, grading, paver work, etc), and to build a driveway for my new home. B7100, 16hp/diesel, 4wd, hydro trans, 60" belly mower, brand new 48" bushhog, 16' double axle trailer....6500.00. I'm not sure of the hours on this unit or the year...I think it is a 1985 or so. I need to know the limitations of this thing, if the price is good, etc. I plan to purchase a frontend loader for it, if I buy it. Thanks for any imput.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

For grading and paver work it will fail miserably, the engines on those things got terribly hot when you start pushing them, and basically, it is a toy tractor designed for a homeowner. Since it does not have power steering, when you load the bucket it will be next to impossible to turn, and for loading/cutting grades, the nose of the tractor will lift up and float over heavy objects. For using it with a belly mower, it will be blown out of the water production wise to any ZTR, or front mount machine dedicated for mowing production.

The tractor is worth $3500.00 if in good shape, which leaves a trailer in the balance of $2,500.00. Unless the trailer is a well known brand, you can buy brand new 9999 GVW trailers all day long for $2,300.00.

Basically, you have a multi purpose machine that won't do any one function you want it to do in an effcient manor. It would be great as a homeowners hobby tractor, but for what you are doing, I would not waste my time unless they want to lower the price considerably.

Just my two cents, but time is money. Plan on spending alot of it using that machine.
  3. tnturbo

tnturbo LawnSite Member

Sounds like too much money and definitely not enough power.