Plans for large waterfall?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by turfquip, Oct 12, 2006.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Where will I find detailed design plans for larger waterfall projects?

Is there a website or magazine I could look to? I have a lot of time on my hands during the Winter, access to free ledgerock and a pretty good back yard to do something outrageous.

Never built one before but it doesn't look difficult.

Thanks!

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

The best waterfall and pond designs I have ever seen drawn were the ones that were drawn from the heart.

Rough sketch your general layout and design. Read Victor's thread from start to finish on the mechanics and then look at some of the art created by some of the folks on this site.......then, let your self be creative.....

I do not say that in a sissy or smug or arrogant way.......the best work I have ever done was have a general game plan, do the mechanics correctly, and then be creative and try not to "think" about it but "feel" it. When we are setting rock on 20-30K waterfalls you find yourself getting into the zone, and though you have a general idea, you are flexible enough to let the material ( in this case, rocks/boulders ) find their own proper place.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

definitely good advice. the only thing that is "on paper" in my designs is the hardware. I always buy more than I need... more pipe, more liner, more underlayment, more rock, etc when I do projects. Take a can of spray paint and start roughing it in. place "character" or major rocks and incorporate them into the design, then just fill in the gaps with the regular stuff. When you are picking through the pile of rocks and find "the one" that will totally change the design for the better, you need to change your plan a little.