Plant and hardscape care brochure for customers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by newleaflandscape, Feb 20, 2006.

1. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Hi

I want to put together a care brochure for customers after we leave. Planning on putting in the envelope with the final invoice. I want to include things like watering guideline, including drought, pruning care for shrubs dead heading for flowers etc. I also want to include some hardscape care like not putting salt on brick because it will make the color fade etc. Also some care instructions for ponds. Was wondering if anyone had done this, and if so if I could see some examples. I just want to put together something that will provide good information, but at the same time simple for customers to understand. Any ideas would be appreciated. When I am done I will post the finished product on here, cause I am sure there are more of you out there that may want to follow the idea.

Thanks

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I do that individually with a word letter in my final invoice.Each place is different so need different instructions I have found.

3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a good idea. I would imagine that you could draft one up in word pretty easily. I did something like that for my seeded yards..it turned out ok.

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Seeing that you have a web site, have you thought about putting it in the site too, with a reference to it's site inclusion, within the brochure?

Web sites are a good storage facility for that stuff.

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I supply a spiral bound portfolio to landscape customers.It includes,a thank you letter,the landscape design with each plant marked by name,care instructions for individual plants including when to prune,3D design photos,and before and after pics of the landscape.Each page has the company name on it,along with the phone number and web address.
    It's just a finishing touch that I've found customers really appreciate.You can pick up a binding machine for $50,plus all of the needed supplies at an office supply store.

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a lot of info to cram into a brochure. You might consider putting out a newsletter to keep them informed on what to do season by season. Will also serve as a reminder for them to do something and keeps you on their mind for future work. I put one out monthly for my maint clients, it is a huge hit. After the first year it is a breeze because the care information remains the same. Divide it by sections trees, shrubs and groundcovers, seasonal flowers, pests and disease, roses, fruit trees, ponds, add a few pictures if you run out of things to say. Best marketing tool I have ever had, I once had a writer from a Phoenix Home and Garden magazine tell me she had been given my newsletter and wanted to get on my mailing list.

7. newleaflandscape

mdvaden,
    I was thinking of putting a more detailed presentation on the website.

Nickn,
    I do something similar to that, although I would not be able to put my design into the presentation, as they are always on 24" by 36" paper. I just have a printed folder we put everything in. Includes 3d presentation, bid, drawing, and two plant booklets produced by the MNLA. I really want to put this in the bill though. I thought it would be nice to recieve something in the mail, besides how much they owe me. You know sweeten it up a little.

8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Newsletters would be a good way to pass accross that info...as well as to stay in your customers heads. I have often thought about putting one out quarterly.

9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Our first newsletter is complete.Waiting till March to send them.It was alot of fun to produce(something different)and I've already started the second one.I'm going to produce a Spring,Late Spring,Summer,Fall,Late Fall,and Winter edition.
    That way I'm not obligated to have them out by a certain timeframe and I can work on them in spare time.Great way to market,IMHO.

10. newleaflandscape

I send a monthly email newsletter. I would say about 60 percent of my customers are signed up for it. The other 40 percent dont have the internet or are older. I used to send a quarterly through the mail, but I feel this is more effective and less costly. What I like about it, is frequently right after I send the newsletter out, I will get 3 or 4 emails in reply from the customers with questions. It kind of creates an easy invitation for the customers to voice their questions, without feeling like they are being nags by calling me.