1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

plant container sizes?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by AintNoFun, May 25, 2008.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

does anyone know the diameter of a 1, 3, and 5 gallon black container. I wanna buy a one man auger wondering what sizes bits i should get? thanks
  2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

an auger for 1 gallons? I think not, unless you're doing highway installs you shouldn't need auger smaller than 24" and thats for your 10 gallons and up. The bits are expensive so either way buy one for your large size plants and just dig big holes for the rest. The plants will appreciate it. We have a 46" and a 56"
  3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

There is an old adage that says "dig a $10 hole for a $5 plant". You're not doing post and beam construction. The hole should be bigger than the plant container.
  4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you need an auger for 1-5 gal size pots, hand digging with a shovel takes no time?
  5. AintNoFun

all we do is highway/govt work.. im actually a union outfit, my labor cost is probably more than most bill out for there guys. just trying to make my guys effecient and effective as possible. But for this one project we have coming up we are planting about 2000 1 to 3 gallon containers on a somewhat steep slope and access is very limited. so rather than hand digging i was weighing some options of a few one man augers to speed up the production.. but i did find all the container sizes on a website.
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

...day labor + sharp shooter...
  7. AintNoFun

not quite understanding this?