Plant Fertilization

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SprinklerGuy, Nov 6, 2001.

1. I saw a guy in my area utilizing a deep root feeder to fertilize hibiscus, palms, and trees today. Is this an efficient way to fert. plants? Here in the desert, we have drip systems and almost no rain. Because of this you cannot just broadcast granulated fert in the beds. It will be there 10 years later.....I have been wanting to add something on to my business and am wondering if this is the way to go. Any body? The LCO's around here do not fert the plants due to the difficulty of it so I could very easily keep my same contacts and add more. I can think of lots of neat ways to piggyback my sprinkler business with this new endeavor but......anyone?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sprinklerguy

deep root is effective and cheap to get into and easy to do. A small 25 gal spot srayer with a second pump to recirulate and keep the tank mixed. Is about all you need. These are 12v pumps and can be powered by deep cycle lawn mower battery. I set my on a lawnmower and drive around the yard. I use a 30 ft hose but 50 ft would be better. I tried to make my own deep root rod ended up buying one from lesco.

As for ferts I don't know your soil so I will tell you to get with your county extention agent. However 20-20-20 greenhouse mix 15-30-15 bloom buster and Arborgreen are pretty standard. Don't mix it to strong or you will burn some roots in a NY second. Play around with it first and get to know it. LOL

3. I wonder if there is a need for an applicator's license to do fert only.

4. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

how about fertigation?

5. Sprinklerguy, check with your state department of agriculture to find out about license for applying fertilizers. They will be able to answer this question for you.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fireball

I have been told by professional growers who all use fertigation "That unless you spend big bucks and have a lot of Plants it is not practical. Cheaper systems just do not hold up or even work. To little fert is no good and to much might kill all your plants."

Sprinklerguy

Take Davis TLC advise and check. But in my area you don't need a special lic. I would be very surprised if you did. Post back and let us know

7. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

I am here in South Carolina and I apply fertilizer every day and you dont not need a license to apply this stuff. Another thing this is a true cash cow with root feeding of trees and shrubs. I have 5 crews that do this every day and its very easy to do and apply and the results are the thing that get you called back time and time again. :D

8. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you're near Lesco, ask for their,
    "Landscape Ornamental Management Guide"

I bet most fert suppliers have something similar,
    but Lesco is all I use!