Plant Growth Promoting Rhizobacteria's, PGPR

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ICT Bill, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

There are studies which indicate that Trichoderma strains including h. & k. can inhibit and consume endomycorrhizal fungi when included in spore form in a product, especially if the spores are freeze processed and (IMO) if the Trich spores greatly outnumber the endo spores as they usually do. To be fair there are studies and opinions counter to this. So Bill is right....ask the endomycorrhizal fungi.

Jim: I had a source of pure Trich spores but lost it and am looking for a new source. Email me.

Smallaxe; If you grow Trich h. 22 (or some other Trichs) out with water and molasses beforehand it is effective for battling pathogens on leaf surfaces.

2. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

I'm more concerned about how the trichoderma can affect the myco that is established in the soil. Like treating for potential brown spot when conditions (high heat and moisture) are right.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I share that concern about risking a healthy colony of AMF in a lawn just to rid it of pathogens...

[Tim... ] thanks for the response... I assume thatmeans that an actively batch, sprayed directly onto a shroom could possibly take it out...

4. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting question...what the effects are of T. on a full fruiting body...try it...google it.

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

It probably wouldn't do much, the trich enters the hyphi of the fungi to extract nutrients, a fruiting body has a much different make up, I am just guessing