1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plant growth promotion with less fert inputs

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ICT Bill, May 12, 2008.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is part of article from cornell university. 40% less fertilizer inputs?? I like less inputs especially with the way fertilizer prices are going.
    I have read that just leaving the grass clippings will give you 30 to 40 % of your nitrogen needs for the year, use a couple helpful microorganisms like trichoderma or azotobacter with some mycorrhizae and you have 40% of your nutrient needs

You can apply 80% less inputs with very simple practices. SOM is the gas that makes the engine run, you can build that up through accumulating bio-mass or high Oragnic Matter products like a good finished compost

Plant growth promotion:
    For many years, the ability of these fungi (trichoderma) to increase the rate of plant growth and development, including, especially, their ability to cause the production of more robust roots has been known. The mechanisms for these abilities are only just now becoming known.
    Some of these abilities are likely to be quite profound. Recently, we have found that one strain increases the numbers of even deep roots (at as much as a meter below the soil surface). These deep roots cause crops, such as corn, and ornamental plants, such as turfgrass, to become more resistant to drought.

Perhaps even more importantly, our recent research indicates that corn whose roots are colonized by Trichoderma require about 40% less nitrogen fertilizer than corn whose roots lack the fungus. Since nitrogen fertilizer use is likely to be curtailed by federal mandate to minimize damage to estuaries and other oceanic environment the use of this organism may provide a method for farmers to retain high agricultural productivity while still meeting new regulations likely to be imposed.

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

where do I get this fungus to spread on my lawn also if I put a sprayer on the fron tof my walker how long will 25 galons last coverage area.
  3. gum gardener

gum gardener LawnSite Member

I have just started using Mycorrhiza fungi and have been very happy with my initial results. I plan on slit seeding an entire lawn now with using Mycorrhiza fungi mixed with the seed. Time will tell.

Here is a quick Google search that will point you in the right direction for finding it. I also recommend looking at the sponsors of the website as some of them carry it.

4. ICT Bill

We have 8 different species of endo Mycorrhizae and 6 different species of Trichoderma in our organic fertilizer, we also have some ecto mycorrhizae in there for the trees, perennials and woody plants that grow in the lawn. 6 species of Bacteria that are mycorrhizae helper bacteria

It is a stand alone lawn care product, but I tell everyone (this is Kevin's line) SOM is the gas that makes the car go

www.ictorganics.com You have to register to purchase as we screen for retail and Harry Homeowner and only sell to lawn and landscape professionals
  5. ICT Bill

Improved Biocontrol Efficacy of Trichoderma harzianum 1295-22 for Foliar Phases of Turf Diseases by Use of Spray Applications

Trichoderma harzianum strain 1295-22 is an effective biocontrol agent for several fungal diseases. The efficacy of granule and spray applications of strain 1295-22 for control of Pythium root rot, brown patch, and dollar spot of creeping bentgrass was investigated. Spray applications of conidial suspensions (SA) of strain 1295-22 significantly reduced all three diseases of creeping bentgrass turf in both greenhouse and field experiments. Control was greatest when Triton X-100 at 0.1% was added to aqueous spray suspensions. When SA were applied weekly, the biocontrol treatments were equivalent to standard fungicides.

(BTW Triton X-100 is a surfactant, you could use Yucca or any other too. I love the last sentence)

want to read the whole thing
  6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

okay i registered and now what else do i need to apply the 123 compost tea to my turf ? such as How to apply when and how many times also does it streak or burn or anything else also can it be applied in or before the rain. help me out just keep it simple no fancy quotes from university studies my head hurts from dealing with ppl all day so when I am on here I like to dumb it down LOL
  7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

it is just like tea, more or less. better finish this fast Tim's coming.LoL.

just follow the label, ow jeez did i say that?

you wont burn it, just remind your self that you are using a living thing, bills is sleeping, but still alive. you know the normal care stuff. don't get the herd in the sun to roast, lots of water, needed foods, places to live. the basics.

you will love this organic care thing its good for trees and bushes to.
  8. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

uh oh... what is this about roasting in the sun? I'm sure it gets just as hot down there if not hotter as it does here. and what about the whole drought/ watering ban we have? I think I'm going to mix in some liquid fert for added food. It will raise my cost but it will still be a little less than traditional.
  9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

yes we have been looking at some test samples of sod and if you don't use enough water the herd is just solarized on top.
    they have to get into the ground or into the plant before the water(life) is gone.
  10. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

ooohhhh, so the more water I dilute it with almost the better to get it to the soil... I see. I think I can manage that.

they need to have a chat room type thing or IM so I don't have to keep chasing you around answering posts.