Plant Growth Regulators for home grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Karen Leszke, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Karen Leszke

Karen Leszke LawnSite Member

Hi all,

Firstly, I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum or come to the wrong place to ask this sort of question - but I'm really at a loss as to where to find PGRs commercially available for the likes of me (a 27-y.o. newbie home lawn owner).

My partner and I moved into a home (just renting) here in Conway, AR recently and we have been landed with a yard to mow that is roughly the size of the north face of the Eiger. We have lawn/grass to the front, sides and rear of our property and are surrounded by fields on the outskirts of town.

Already (it is March 27th!) we have had to mow our lawn four times and it is beginning to become apparent that this so-called "lawn" of ours is going to take up every waking moment of our precious weekends throughout the whole growing season to maintain and keep it looking reasonable. We both work full time and both have very little free time either in the evenings OR at the weekends. We have no kids or pets, though - so I guess we're not doing too badly! :hammerhead:

Our lawn is not manicured and could easily be described as a mowed field, really - it is full of ant hills and dips and rises, bare patches and the odd patch of gravel, along with some drains and gas lines that had laid as-yet undiscovered until we mowed for the first time (the previous tenants were NOT the gardening sort!). I don't even know what type of grass we have - nor do I really care. All I care about is keeping it trimmed as low as possible and neat.

So - my big question - does anybody know of any PGRs for the home garden that actually work, do not destroy every living blade of grass completely and will not break the bank??? Some of the products I have heard of are; Embark, Govenor, Primo, Atimmec and Cutless.

We can't afford a ride-on mower and we REALLY need some help to find a product that will tame our lawn growth for this spring and summer. Also - if anyone has any products to suggest - I'd REALLY appreciate it if you could also attach a note of where to buy it because I am at a loss.

Many thanks in advance,

Karen Leszke
    Conway, AR
  2. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Primo works great @ $400 per gallon, which would last you a life time. Not sure if it is available to the homeowner. Just curiously, how can you be DINKS and not afford a riding mower, or at least a local guy to cut the lawn for you?