1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plant Growth Regulators...how, what, where, when....

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by TMGL&L, Dec 2, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I have one hundred questions so I'll number a few to start with.

1. I understand how IGR's (insect growth regulators) work. It is basically just a synthetic juvenile horomone mimic that keep insects in there juvenile stages. Is that how pgr's work???

2. What kind of applications are used on turf and other plants? Liquid systemic? Pelletized and taken through the roots?

3. What is the environmental impact of pgr's in general...I am assuming they are toxic.

4. Do gardener's use pgr's on anything other than turf??? :confused: bonsai tree's? Food crops?

5. Can someone point me to a good source of info on the subject?
  2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I have not used any on turf, but I have used Cambistat http://www.rainbowscivance.com/Cambistat/index.asp on mature trees with some good results. I am not aware of any environmental effects. I think it can be a good tool for stressed trees when used properly, but I am uncomfortable using it over a long time period.
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Look up
    Gibberellic acid

there are others, using these usually has adverse effects long term. Plants can balance these within the growing cycle, squirting these on plants gets things out of balance

The most interesting thing is... they are also produced by bacteria and fungi in the soil. Why would microbes produce things that are typically made within the plant itself ?????? :confused:

Or chitonase, also produced within the plant for all kinds of good things, bacteria and fungi produce it too, HUH ???

antibiotic, biotics, enzymes, etc. all soil bourn factories made in the soil

Its a war down there beneath your feet

BTW, most of the ones that you can buy are not made from bacteria or fungi but produced through synthetic means

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Ist just saying plant growth reg is kind veag there are all different kinds for different things. It would be like asking has any bouby on here used fert.
    I have used 2 different types both liquid one for root growth and one for top growth i know the one for root growth is a natural product not sure about the other.dont know about the environmental impact. may be this can help some.
    Charles Cue
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Used all of the above in micro-propagation courses, in the field however the only one I can think of is rootone (Auxin).
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

To broad a field ... you need to be more specific.
  7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Gibberellic acid was all the rage in the golf industry many years ago. They found long term use left them with turf that kind of fell apart, it would grow faster than the plant could get its foundations set and you left with a stringy watery blade that did not hold up well to foot traffic

Auxin is used heavily for propagation in greenhouses, in certified organic growing it is banned because it is synthetically derived
  8. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

So is there a safe pgr to use on turf, organic or synthetic? Was thinking about doing this myself on some large tough to maintain hills on some properties this year.
  9. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Ya I knew I ventured into the thread with so little knowledge that I could hardly manage to figure out what to ask. :laugh:...That's partly my reasoning for going here first to get a grasp of what I'm looking for.

I've heard of auxin from my research and experience with pruning...and I've heard of rootone and it's uses as well...And I've heard of giberellin (GA) used in germinating grass seed and so forth. but didn't know much about it....and still don't.

...ok so, I am assuming these compounds (Abscisic acid, Auxins, Cytokinins, Ethylene, Gibberellins) are phytohoromones and are the main ingrediant used in plant growth regulators to alter the growth rates of plants...:confused:. Maybe I'm totally off there, I'm kind of shooting in the dark.

To syzer's question...if one is altering the natural growth horomones in a plant to grow in a not-so-natural way, it sounds unsustainable if not toxic to humans. Even if it doesn't kill other plants or animals it has to mess up something....right?
  10. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member