Plant Guarantee

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Georgiehopper, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

When we do an installation we guarantee our plants for one year, but do not replace them due to acts of god or negligence on the part of the owner.

Well this year so far has been something else. We have had several months of almost constant rain and I have had one customer who insists on watering her plants everyday for 40 minutes a day. She has been nagging me about plants dying, etc etc...

I have been to her property no less than 10 times and most of the time there is nothing wrong with the plants. This last time though, the plants were wilted and browning..so I pulled them out of the ground and they were sitting in water. Thats when she mentioned the daily watering for 40 minutes and I told her that is excessive and she should have been following my watering directions I originally gave her.

Well, she wants me to replace all of the dying plants eventhough our warranty and contract clearly states that they will not be replaced due to under or overwatering, etc. Shes wearing me down and I'm just about ready to give in and replace the entire job just to get her off my back.

What would you guys do.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Charge her for every plant she killed from over watering.

Mike

3. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

Determine wether this customer and her word of mouth are worth holding onto or not. If this is what you can expect from her constantly, let her go. I had a customer like this. She called me weekly and was a pain in the bottom. I eventually decided she wasn't worth the pain. I dropped off the replacement plants and told her I would no longer be servicing her.

4. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

If it's worth keeping the customer, I would replace them with the understanding that the new ones do not come with a guarantee.