1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plant Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MJM Landscaping Inc, Jun 9, 2001.

1. MJM Landscaping Inc

MJM Landscaping Inc LawnSite Member

Need some info here. Last year I planted some mountain laurels. This spring they didnt look too good. Half of the individual leaves turned brown and something is eating at it. Customer wanted me to replace them so i did. I planted them at my house and although they are blooming something is still eating them. Now I replaced the customers laurels with rhodos. Something is eating them now. Any Ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mark A Musolf
  2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Could you tell me if you can see any bugs at all? Look closely to the tips and underside of leaves etc... Could it be Aphids? ...very small (less than 1/10th inch)..They feed on variety of plants, including most edible and ornimental plants. They will feed by sucking out plant juices causing leaves to discolor and distorted...They will then "poop" out sugary fluid that attracts ants and may cause a growth of sooty black fungus.
    Horticultural oil will eliminate them. Sorry if this doesn't help..a little more info may help me. Good luck
    PS>>Try to also introduce LadyBugs...they are the most visible known BENIFICIAL predatory insect.GREAT TO HAVE IN ANY GARDEN!!
  3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

There are many pests and disease that hit Kalmia latifolia. Azalea bark scale, Azalea Leaf Miner, Rhododendron Borer, White flies and Lace bug are some of the more common ones. The browning leafs could be due to Anthracnose, Blight or some other disease.

You may have noticed that many of the pests that attack Mountain Laurel also attack Rhodos, this may not have been the best choice as a replacement.

You need to properly ID the pest, take a sample to the County Extension, then be prepared to treat this as a maintenence concern. This should be integrated into an IPM, you will not be able to spray once and have the problem go away.

Good Luck,
    Jim L
  4. Bluegrass Group

Bluegrass Group LawnSite Member

Are you sure it's not shothole fungus?
  5. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

When you say eating them do you mean notching of the leaves??

If thats the case my guess would be black vine weevil as they cut a c shaped notch out of the edges of rhodos and laurels. Let us know what it turns out to be.

As far as laurel, they hate sun. Keep them if full to partial shade for best results. I moved a couple last year from full sun to full shade and they came back awesome.

6. MJM Landscaping Inc

MJM Landscaping Inc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I havent really had a chance to do anything yet. My wife just gave birth monday.

The laurels are in part to full shade. Whatever is eating the leaves are only attacking the laurels and rhodos. The japonicas, andromeda and blue hollies are untouched. As far as the fungus I dont have a clue. Not really A disease and pest man......Yet :)