Plant ID help!

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Fordsflylow, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Fordsflylow

Fordsflylow LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link, but it's not for flowers. I posted thinking someone may be familiar with these particular flowering plants and could just post what they are. As for paying someone to id a flowering plant!?! Get real!:laugh: If you didn't have the time, why waste it posting and whining?

2. Fordsflylow

No where near lazy here. I've searched high and low for those two and have come up notta. I appreciate the help, sorry it caused such a rucus.

3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Minty pic looks more like one of the oreganos than a true mint. Do you have a better picture??

4. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

Are they not too large of leaves for an oregano?
    I also do not think that it is monarda either, as one poster suggested.
    The leaves look as though it might be basil, but there are no flowers.
    I am guessing that it may be a sad looking wiegela shrub?

Please post more photos, and include one that shows the stems and structure.

Ford, I have changed my mind again, I do not think you are lazy, it is just learning. And by the way, I do get paid to identify plants so learn them all and you can get paid for it also.

5. Fordsflylow

I'll see if I can get a better pic today!

6. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

its not oregano or basil. oregano has rounded leaf ends-not points, basil is smooth and not hairy. willing to bet again that it is bee balm and probably not flowering because it is in the sun(just guessing by the pic) try and get a pic of the stems and i could tell you definitely if it is or not.

7. Kate Butler

Is the stem square? Have you crushed a leaf and smelled it? Bee balm leaves are much bigger (even the dwarf hybrids).

8. Fordsflylow

Been so busy, sorry it took me so long to post another pic. No I haven't looked at it extremely close. Here's a better pic - hopefully! Thanks Kate!

100_3410.jpg

9. Kate Butler

It does look to be one of the mints (a VERY large family). Are the stems square? What is the scent like when you crush a leaf?

10. Fordsflylow

I'll check next time. Thanks for your time.