Plant ID Info.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Got Grass?, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know of any web sites that will help ID plants?
    I've ran across quite a few sites that have the plants name and clicked it showes a picture, or what plants are good in certin situations.
    But I'm always coming across a plant that need to be identified by picture, as the plant is all I have. So I'm looking for a site that will show some pictures and then a name. Info about the plant would be even better.
    I hate having to tell my customers "I'm not sure what this it but I'll find out and let you know next time I'm out", and not being able to find out easily. I could always go to a nursery but thay would get annoied if I showed up this much and prolly wouldnt know themselves.

thanks in advance.

2. solaras

solaras LawnSite Member

I keep a reference library with me at all times. Plant ID book, Ortho Problem Solver, Weed ID book, Plant Pest ID book, equipement troubleshoot guides. I gave up on internet sites. If I take a sample to research later, by the time I get home the plant is almost unrecognizable. And I'm too damn tired too.

3. gett dirr. and remember- MAD-CAP-HORSE

4. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I'll bite. MAD-CAP-HORSE?

5. Got Grass?

Lawnboy82 - What the heck are you talking about?

Still would like some good sites. But what are some good ID books? where and how much?

6. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If expensive software is your thing...
    http://horticopia.com

Edited out what didn't need to be here.
    Edited by Eric ELM

7. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Gotgrass,
    are you looking for woody perenial ID material or annuals and herbacious perrenial ID material?

Maple, Ash, Dogwood, Caprifoliaceae and Horsechestnut have a opposite branching habit.

Jim L

8. Got Grass?

Mainly looking for perrenial's ID. Get a lot of, "Is this a junk weed or a plant?". sometimes it's hard to tell (have a lot of older houses with new owners).
    I know its a plant I just dont know the name of it. I found out what the last one I was looking for is and can tell them tommarow.
    I think I'm going to invest some $$ and get a couple books. So I can look them up and give answers on the spot.
    What are decent books with pictures, names and possible info about them?

Island Lawn - Looks like thats a nice program but way to much for me.

I can do the basics of landscaping, Pretty good with trees and shrubs. Plants and flowers I'm not so good at but want to learn with experience.

9. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

Hey, Got Grass? --

Am I correct in thinking that SUNY has a campus in Buffalo? If that is true, then they have a Biology program that also includes courses in Botany. What you may be looking for is a taxonomic key that will lead you through a series of yes/no choices about physical characteristics, to the (hopefully) correct ID.

Go to the bookstore and find out where the text(s) for "BIO 427
    Systematic Botany" would be. There you should find one or more definitive sources for plant ID, at least for the scientifically recognized individuals. For the newer cultivars, you may have to search a little more.

Hope this helps a little,

Barbara

10. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

One of the main keys that I use to ID herbacious perrenials are bulb and plant catalogs.

New cultivars, different leaf shape and flower colors, are constantly being developed. This makes it more difficult to properly ID many perrenials. Fern leaf varieties often look nothing like the parent plant, untill they flower.

Botany is a good and usefull tool, however, the books can be very in depth. Like how to seperate 200 typs of moss, and they don't cosider any flora a weed.

I actually enjoyed my Botany class tremendously, but I would reccomend taking the class, possibly a winter project, rather than trying to tackle the book on your own.

Good Luck,
    Jim L