Plant ID - winter fern?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kemco, Dec 15, 2013.

1. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't take a pic yet, my bad. But I was curious as to what type of ferns that I am seeing in some landscaping that are very cold-hardy. They seem to be pretty frost-resistant as well. Color is more of a Kermit the frog green rather than a dark hunter green that you find on ferns one might purchase in the summer at one of the big box stores. It's a complete guess on my part that they might be called "winter fern" but I was wondering if anyone knew the scientific name.

2. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

KermitthefrogPteridophyta:laugh:

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like Kale to me.

4. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

5. gmlm

gmlm LawnSite Member

definitely not kale....i see them here too....sorry not sure what they are.

6. szykan

szykan LawnSite Member

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderProfileResults.aspx?basic=Fern

7. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NJ

It is possibly Japanese painted fern, though they tend to be more silvery in color. How tall are they? Japanese painted ferns are about 12 to 18 inches high. They normally die back in colder weather, but I have seen them still standing after a hard frost.

8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

New2 you might have it in that pic, looks very similar. It's not silver at all in color, the color is very close to what you are showing there. I'm going to be on a job on the same street tomorrow that has some landscaping with these and I'll take a pic and post (If I can make time to go by there). Thx all for the help... I want some in my own landscaping.

9. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

We are similar hardiness zones. There's a handful of evergreen ferns, Autumn fern is probably the most common.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

The way you can tell if it's an Autumn Fern is because they typically have an odd leaf that is sort of yellow/orange. They're not ALL green. Which is why we use them a lot in planting, because they offer some color other than green and are mostly evergreen.

Often, they'll look a little more like this:

[​IMG]

Warning though: If it is an autumn fern you are seeing, they aren't quite as hardy as many other ferns. They can die totally in the winter if it gets too cold or totally die back to the ground and then come back in the spring.