Plant ID with photos

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by enc177, Jul 30, 2014.

1. enc177

enc177 LawnSite Member

Longtime lurker here who is trying to identify this particular shrub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for a phenomenal forum. I spend considerable time here learning as much as I can.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

Looks like Viburnum to me. Just my opinion but I think you would be happier with a slower growing shorter shrub in that area. What you have is planted too close to the house for the size of the shrub.

3. enc177

enc177 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the identification. I agree that these shrubs are large for their location. I want to prune them down to about 60% of their current size, but need to determine whether I should wait until winter; or if it's safe to prune them during our hot, humid summer here in Savannah, then I'll go ahead and prune them now.

Does anyone have experience regarding which season it's safe to prune viburnum? Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY LawnSite Member

5. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a ligustrum to me
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Tropical Gardens

Tropical Gardens LawnSite Member

Is viburnum and is quite actively growing right now here in south fl. I would not be scared to take them down to below the window ledge, keeping them in a formal hedge shape this time of year. Within a month you should have good growth again. Spring is the better time obviously, but as I said they are still actively growing. Treat with an insecticide, as you have noticeable issues seen even from the distance of the photo. Happy trimming!

7. carriedrewdog

carriedrewdog LawnSite Member

Not trying to put you to work and spend your money, but I'd trim those with a shovel and put in something like Indian Hawthorne that isn't going to work you to death. That Viburnum will need trimming every month or so during the summer.

8. enc177

enc177 LawnSite Member

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I sprayed the shrubs with Malathion, and ideally would like to transplant them to my side yard as a privacy screen for the cable and electric junction boxes.

I think I'd like to replace with encore azaleas for some color in front of my windows.

Any advice on transplanting my Viburnum would be much appreciated.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, the "opposite" leaf arrangement is pretty distinctive for Viburnum spp.

P.S. You also have a case of aphids with sooty mold on the branch tips.