Plant identification, no picture

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by muddstopper, Oct 18, 2004.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have been trying to find the name of a plant that is growing almost wildy next to my home.
    the plant will reach about 4foot tall, maybe more if it doesnt break under its own weight,and is a deep red color, dark blood red. Stalk, leafs and flower or seed head are all the same red color. The seed heads, for a lack of a better word to call them, will be long and bushy with thousands of little seeds in each clump. They are present up the stalk and at the very top of the plant. Some here call it a cocks feather, roostercomb, and rooster feather because of the way the seed heads hang similar to a rooters feathers. It emerges in early to mid summer and grows rapidly until frost. It will grow in a mowed lawn once it gets started. Mowing will cut it back but doesnot seem to eliminate it. I have not been able to find a picture of any plant that looks like it. It will put out millions of seeds and comesback every year but I am not sure if it is comeing back from seed or from the original plant seeds are small, about the size of coffee grounds. 4 or five leafs grow for the same area but on different sides of the stalk.
    I have visited several plant identification sites but havent located anything that looks like this. If I hadnt broken my camera I would post a picture but hopefully some one can figure it out from my description.
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

A picture is worth 10,000 words when it comes to this type of stuff.... If you can get a picture, that would help emensely!

That being said, is the plant a woody plant or more of a herbacious? If it's a woody plant, it *almost* sounds like staghorn sumac. But that only gets deep red in color in the fall, the rest of the season the foliage is green.

There is an annual flower/foliage plant called cockscomb, though from what I remember it doesn't get that tall. But I could be wrong....

Those are my two guesses, but that's all they are!

Again, a pic would be VERY helpful.:)

3. muddstopper

I got my carmera to work so lets see if I can post a picture.
  4. muddstopper

Lets see if these will post
    smaller plant

5. muddstopper

Larger plant, had to prop it up

6. muddstopper

This plant has great color and looks good in the right setting but it easily outgrows most flower beds. It also reseeds itself each year, each seed head hold thousands of seeds, and I am now wondering if my planting it might have been a mistake. It will spread like wildfire if left alone. At one point my lawn had more of this plant than it had grass. It took several mowings to finally rid my lawn of this plant. It should be easily killed by chemicals alto I havent tried any on it. The plants you see where not planted in these areas, wind, rain, cat, grandkids, ect. contributed to their spread. Plant seems to like full or almost full sun, I havent found any in shady areas.
  7. muddstopper

Thanks Dan, your mention of cockscomb led me to do a search . The proper name of the plant is Celosia, altho I havent found the exact varitiy. I had seached for roostercomb, cocks feather, and several other popular local names but Cockscomb did the trick.
  8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Im sure that it is a type coleus,I'll research it later to verify.

9. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I think it could be one of the amaranths: wildly aggressive seeders (often edible) and quite lovely when well grown.
  10. muddstopper

Thanks Kate,
    Amarathus Hyprochondriacus, heirloom- Warihio
    Is edible and seeds are used for grain.

amaranthus hyprochondriacus ( Warihio).jpg