Plant Installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Renovation, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Renovation

Renovation LawnSite Member

Need information on how you guys price shrub installation.

2. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

Depends on type of soil what needs to be added to soil are you mulching after size of container or ball need little more info to help.

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummmm..... hourly labor rate and material mark-up. That's a good place to start.

4. Renovation

Renovation LawnSite Member

Generally clay soil and mulched in after planted. I've talked to a local small landscaper who says he charges by the gallon to plant a shrub (e.g., $5.00/gallon of shrub). He says it's easier that way, so I just wanted to see what others might be doing. Having been in another business area I am used to seeing services priced as materials plus labor with a percent markup.

5. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I suppose charging by the gallon is one way to do it.... but your cost on a #3 container of, say an azalea, might be much different than that of a #3 skip laurel... or a #3 blue maid holly, a #3 small Japanese Maple...etc. So you're costing yourself $$$ by not marking up each item in a different way.

I typically charge a labor rate and a 100% mark-up on plant material. Soil prep is priced as a labor rate- tear-out, tilling, grading (estimated time to prep a certain bed with ammendments and soils that are also marked-up)

6. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that $5.00 per gallon for labor (that is what he meant right? Surely not $5 installed per gallon, as some 25 gallon plants are $200+ you would lose money there!) is a little high unless you have some serious hard clay, or if you are only planting a few small shrubs. I usually try to plant larger plants for people--say 10 25 gallon plants-I'm not going to charge them $1250 in labor! Maybe half that. I can put a 10 gallon plant in the ground in a few minutes, why should I be paid $50 for 15 mins of work? You can make that money sometimes, but I wouldn't recommend trying to get that off of a few shrubs.