plant quality help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Accu-cut Lawn Care, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently began using a wholesale farm/nursery to buy my plant materials. The quality has been great except for my last pickup of plants. I got 30 3 gallon purperia that seemed very small. Upon installation, I found that they were 1 gallon rootballs dropped into 3 gallon pots with dirt. The price difference between the 3's and the 1's is about 7 dollars. Should I complain or try and get some money back??? Or should I be more careful with inspection in the future?

2. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, complain ! You can ask for some money back on your next purchase if there is one. Did they do this there on site or were these items shipped in from another nursery and they failed to catch the difference?

3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw in the up-potting cycle. By all means, complain (gently) with explanation.

4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

They were on site. The owner told me that the purps were a little bit small; but I was looking at other plants while my truck was being loaded. I barely even saw them before I was planting on the jobsite. My first impression was...man, these thing ARE small. My second was...holy s***, these are 1 gal in 3 gal containers. I'll definitely buy from this supplier again. I don't think they were trying to rip me off. Maybe the lot guys didn't know that those purps hadn't taken root in their new containers yet. I was just wanting to know how to go about resolving this situation in a kuthful(sp?) manner.

5. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Well ,by all means be civil about the complaint because being a jerk is unnecessary but you may want to tell your contact that you think the "wrong" block may have been loaded and go from there.........

6. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Any nursery I use would warn me the plants weren't rooted in yet...you paid for more than you received. I wouldn't go too easy on them.