Plant selection around ponds, need some advice!

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by andersman02, Feb 28, 2012.

1. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

So I did my first pond this past summer at our head quarters but looking back i would have changed a few plants out, problem i had was finding plants that would work in full sun while lookin nice next to a water feature...
    [​IMG]

I have 2 more ponds to do this spring/summer and was hoping to get some input on plant selection around ponds

as of now ive been noticing ferns, grasses, sedges and iris look nice next to a water features but need some more input

Anyone have some Go-to plants they use around water features? for instance one i will be doing will be about 1/2 shade so some shady plants will be needed

Also thinking of putting a few key plants such as maybe a pagoda dogwood tree (thinned out) or maybe a service berry over weeping over the pond a bit

any advice is welcome!!

EDIT- we are in zone 4!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. *dim*

*dim* LawnSite Member

for sun:

bamboo (always plant with a root barrier) but check which bamboo enjoys sun

Trachycarpus fortunei palm

for semi shade:

same as above, but include dryopeteris ferns, Gunnera (there is a giant one), Fatsia, huechera, hakonchloa macra aureola grass, Jack Frost brunnera, Hostas (but you need snail/slug pellets) ...

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Dwarf Cannas. Have to dig up the rhizomes every fall though.

4. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out Ice Plants for drier areas, even though it is near a pond. If it is getting a lot of water splash, check out ajugas, they are low growing ground cover and look really good around rocks

5. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

dim- bamboo looks nice, Id assume the palm will not be hardy around here though, dont think there are any hardy ones, i definately like the ferns, brunnera, hachonechloa and hostas

White gardens- i like cannas but for the most part may stray away from for residential site unless the customer already has some bulbs that are not cold hardy

reddens-i forgot about ajugas! they are really nice plants especially for river rock and bolder ponds, looks really good! only problem im thinking of is planting in a new planting area, im thinkin it might take over if the other plants are not established

edit- i think if i were to redo this i would have used ajuga instead of the sedums, just afraid of it taking over but i think the grasses and juniper could handle it

thanks for the input guys!

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

ajuga will spread, however it is fairly easy to control, I just pull off excess or new sprouts every two weeks during the growing season and either replant where needed or discard. No big deal

7. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

When installing a pond at a customer's site, I follow a couple of rules of thumb. Any new plantings (terrestrial) should blend with the existing landscape where possible.Some customers have one or two preferences as to plantings. Try to accommodate them. Other than that, I utilize a lot of ornamental grasses and sedges.
    Don't forget aquatic plantings. They are crucial to keeping water quality a optimum levels and aid in softening the starkness and monotony of the perimeter rock.
    It very easy to overplant around a pond. Avoid the 'cluttered' look.

8. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that a basement window to the right? You might want to berm that up and get the mulch and stuff off the siding.

FYI make sure you build some shelves for your aquatic plants they usually like 0 to 6 inches besides lilies. I like sweetflag , dwarf cattails, thailia for small pond marginals. Just beware that a lot of plants are invasive and will take over a pond.