1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Plant Selection for hedge material in full shade

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by BCL Services, Jul 21, 2012.

1. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

Ok guys i need some suggestions for a good hedge plant that likes alot of shade. Thanks for your help.

2. None...no formal hedge is going to like full shade...what will this be planted under??? How many actual hours of shade??
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Another question, how big does this hedge need to get??
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Loropetalum can tolerate decent amount of shade and give a color option even though they are in shade, you will most likely experience less blooms in the shade.

azaleas of course is a shrub that will do well in shade and of course you can get the attractive blooms.

Firebush

These are a couple that offer you color.

5. He said a lot of shade, which sounds like full shade....any plant that wants more sun will not thrive in full shade...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses guys, the area only gets maybe 2 to 4 hours of partial sunlight. It is under a mature oak tree and in front of brick wall. Would like to get a chest to head high hedge line.

7. Yea, that isn't enough sun for most formal stuff. I would do lady palms. Need little maintenance and will work in the area.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I like Arborcola Trinette in the shade. Does really well near oaks. Going to be difficult to get it to be a formal hedge, but it does look good. Susceptible to cold damage though. If below 32F, they need to be covered.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I would suggest either Viburnum suspension or Indian Hawthorn. Indian Hawthorn at work slightly better but just.
    easy-lift guy

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Hawthornes get really thin in shade...especially that amount of shade...they are disease prone as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device