Plant Selection for hedge material in full shade

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by BCL Services, Jul 21, 2012.

1. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

azaleas do well under oaks

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Loropetalum's are the way to go. Grow's fairly quickly, grow's large, disease resistant, drought tolerant, does very well in the shade and can shaped easily.

3. keithslawnc

keithslawnc LawnSite Member

Multiplex bamboo can make a great hedge in full shade. Low maintenance and can be trimmed extremely tight or let it flow a little more. Very dense privacy hedge. It will be a little thinner in the shade but still a very good hedge.

4. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

Aucuba japonica. I would leave it in its natural form though.

5. Also creates a mess, and will compete with the oak...I still vote for raphis excelsa
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Turbo Sloth

Turbo Sloth LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Vibernum suspensum, awabuki vibernum, cat palm, raphis palm, starburst clerodendrum and azaleas.

7. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, the Lady Palm would give you some height in some very low light conditions. For something shorter under those light conditions and without having a low pH soil to deal with would be - Philodendron "Xanudu". Some sources have even suggested Firebush but personally I haven't seen it do well in that low light setting.

The point is, if it's really deep shade, even Azaleas, Camellias & Gardenias still need more light to thrive while liking the lower soil pH typically found under Oaks. The right plant, in the right place will likely thrive and not just survive. The added stress from the shade will result in pest & disease infestations and generally poor growth. Is there any way the tree canopy can be pruned to open things up and get more light in? Also, a soil pH test is suggested.. Good Luck.